Human Joist

Jim build thread

Hi Guys, Had my Corrado for just over a year now, not been on the road too long and still work to do. But as you can see it has had a little work done in my spare time.[ATTACH=CONFIG]62221[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62225[/ATTACH]

Made the change for Raddo after numerous mk2 Gti, mk3 Vr6 etc

Jim

Edited by Human Joist

A friend of mine bought the car a few years ago as an automatic with gearbox and engine issues for about 1200. He ripped the engine out overhalled it and put a manual box in. Quite a fair bit of work. Once he was finished he realised he had no facility to complete the paint work as it was tired and needed tlc. He sold it to a good friend of mine for £1200, (Good lad but, he has managed to f*&k up with numbers on this one as he spent a couple of thousand on engine box and running gear as well)

The next owner (good mate) was planning to sort the paintwork and I was going to buy it from him for £3250. His plan was to get my father-in-law to paint it and he would prep it.

1 hour in to starting the paintwork he realized he had bit of more than he could chew as it needed welding and much more than he first thought. (I had not even seen the car at this point) He rang me up to say he had made a mistake and was going to break it for parts to get his money back. Unfortunately I had just sold my mk2 16v I had claimed from the scrapheap the previous year to pay for the Corrado.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62289[/ATTACH]

So I made the trip to see the car to see how bad it was. I have more history with paintwork as you can see above. I could not let it to go scrap (which is why I got the Golf above) So I decided to book a week of work and I bought the car for £1200 and sorted the welding and painted the car. I did the prep work and father in law coated it in paint. Then once back on the road went to original speedlines, then decided to sell them and go for whats on now, they sit wide so I had to lop the inner arch and lift the suspension up a few inches to fit them in. I have just put in a full grey leather interior after a long road trip.

Now I need to put a better exhaust and suspension on. Its running coilovers which are not that uncomfortable however when I hit bumps they have a lot of travel which why it sits high. I dont know if its because they are cheaper coilovers and that why the travel on them is high.

So there you go, There are more pictures on my profile and more to follow of the interior and engine. I have just had some shot blasting work completed and it looks better than new

Edited by Human Joist

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62293[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62297[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62301[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62305[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62309[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62313[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62317[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62321[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62325[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]62329[/ATTACH]

It sits a little higher than in these pictures to allow clearance.

Edited by Human Joist

What a great looking car. Picture four is just awesome. Paint looks wet to the touch it's that good. Kudos to you sir. You must ge very proud. What's next ?

Stereo just arrived so fit that tonight a Kenwood KDC 4047UG, wanted the DAB version but decided that as I normally listen to engine anyway not worth the time at the moment. Next thing is a better suspension set up and exhaust

More work completed recently in the engine bay as I felt it looked a bit dirty. The intake was painted white and looked crap so I took it off and had it powder coated silver and while I was at it had the rocker cover powder coated black at the same time. It really smartens up the engine bay, Just got to decide what to do with the plastic cover as it looks a bit shabby. Either paint it a high lacquer finish or look at making stainless cover for it. Not sure yet

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66453[/ATTACH]

But its a start.

Then I have bought and fitted some leather to smarten it up. Wanted to find black but it seems to cost the earth. Managed to find this for £250. Long trip to get but worth it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66457[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]66461[/ATTACH]

The only problem was its from an early car so the door cards don't match the late switches I have in my VR so the old late cloth front door cards are at the trimmers to be recovered in leather to match the rest.

Then today I have got and fitted a new chrome front VW Badge. I can now get them for £20 delivered, they are a pattern part but can't tell the difference and look allot nicer than the faded original. Will put a seperate post up on the badge incase anyone else wants one as I can sort for them

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66465[/ATTACH]

More work completed. KW v1 ordered and fitted great set up highly recommended. Polly bushed anti roll bar and then got the original front door cards re trimmed in grey leather to match the rest of the newly transplanted interior.

Just an exhaust to go and then decide what's after that. Ideas!!!!!

That's the top and inside done. Time to venture underneath ? Powdercoat etc etc

Once again, the car looks great. Really like a good red Rado.

It's funny you should say that. Got the rocker cover and intake manifold powder coated earlier this year. Might renew the rear axel bushes over winter. If I do will get the rear beam powder coated and possibly few other bits such as fuel tank straps while there.

Anyone know how I get this thread bumped to gallery, think it would be better suited there as got some more pictures to upload.

Edited by Human Joist

First time I've looked at this Mr Joist, bloody good job I must say :thumbleft: whats the spec on the rims, they look pretty wide, good choice with the KW's.

Get a mod to move the thread, I hear VR6 is very accommodating :rolleyes:

Yeah the KW's are very good, I was not sure before fitting them. The wheels are et25 from memory and they are 8x16. They were very well priced only £420 delivered. Had to get a 10 mm spacer on the front as they caught on the brake carrier. But the company gave me some hub centric spacers for free as a way of saying sorry for the problem.

Your right I will ask VR6 as he surly owes me one after the name change. I take it Jim would have been to complicated. Lol

Edited by Human Joist

Just having a hunt and found few pictures of the week I took off work last year to paint the car. This is the first one I took, while I was trying to decide if I was going to do it or break for parts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69570[/ATTACH]

These are the other few taken over the week

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69571[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69572[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69573[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69574[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69575[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69576[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69577[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69578[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69579[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69580[/ATTACH]

Then earlier this year for its first little meet, got allot of attention, mostly from my boy in the red top.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69581[/ATTACH]

Edited by Human Joist

Very nice! That's what I want mine to look like, wish I had a spray shop big enough for mine to fit in :(

Father in law paints classic cars for living. I preped he painted it as favour. Won't tell you it only cost £80 to prep and paint. Got fleeced with wheels and coilovers though.

Father in law paints classic cars for living. I preped he painted it as favour. Won't tell you it only cost £80 to prep and paint. Got fleeced with wheels and coilovers though.

£80 looks amazing and yeah u shouldn't have told me lol