bmwcompact

Tightening that crankshaft bolt-16v 9A engine

I thought this photo and a few words might give you all some ideas: this problem seeems to pop up from time to time.

I have a 10" Black and Decker angle grinder and used one of its spanners and a G clamp to hold the crankshaft whilst tightening the bolt. I torqued it up in stages to get confidence that the spanner would hold OK. But if you dont have the B&D spanner, a similar approach would be to simply drill a couple of holes in 1 or 2 pieces of flat bar, use a couple of bolts to attach them to the splined wheel, and then to clamp the bar(s) to the bracket as shown here.

I used this technique when I relaced my timing belt and then again to dismantle everything to change the crackshaft oil seal.

Usual disclaimer: follow my ideas at your own risk!!! [ATTACH=CONFIG]62357[/ATTACH]

Ingenious, but you don't need to remove the crank timing belt pulley to change the belt???

Also, the crank bolts are stretch and should be replaced if removed. I think I'd rather use bolts in a metal strip/plate or you risk damaging the threads in the pulley.

Ingenious, but you don't need to remove the crank timing belt pulley to change the belt???

Also, the crank bolts are stretch and should be replaced if removed. I think I'd rather use bolts in a metal strip/plate or you risk damaging the threads in the pulley.

Agree with everything you say. The bolt should be renewed. When I replaced my timing belt, I was unable to separate the alternator/waterpump pulley and the crankshaft toothed wheel in situ. I undid the bolt in order to dismantle, then managed to separate them. Obviously the bolt has to be removed to replace the seal.

I am surprised no-one has come up with a locking tool using the principle I've outlined.

Yeah, those pulleys do sieze together. Was just checking about the bolt. :)

I'm sure there's a vw tool for locking the pulley, changing a clutch I use a metal plate and two bolts to undo the clutch or flywheel, I'd do the same on the crank or use a heavy duty air gun :)