DANG60

Paint vs powdercoat

Hey everyone. I'm sure this has been asked numerous times before, I've looked on the net etc but can't draw my own conclusion.

In wanting to coat my subframes, rear beam etc.

I have read mixed reviews of powdercoating on the net and read that some people seem to be happy with chassis components being powder coated and others say it doesn't last very well and once it's damaged it tends to rot the components from the inside out.

The other alternative would be for me to etc prime, smooth stone chip and then paint with 2 k paint. I just want it to be as durable as it can be. I do have a full tin of por15 chassis black there but I have had problems with por15 paint in the past so I am reluctant to use it.

I know quite a few people have had their things powdercoated so can I ask, have they lasted well or if you were to do it again would you do it differently?

Cheers

Powder coating all day long for me. Powder coating is a polymer based coating which with the correct preparation will outlast painted finishes, it is also more durable to scratches and stone chips as it has a thicker coating.

Matt

Cheers matt, I've read mixed reviews. From what I can make out powder coat is harder but if it gets water underneath it it rusts it without it showing up where as if it's painted it would bubble the paint up.

It's also like you say only as good as the prep and processes when its applied.

Also I reckon by painting it it would be easier to repair also in the even of any damage.

Minefield lol

As said its all about prep no matter which option you choose. If your parts are treated 1st PC has to be the best way forward. There are a few options with PC some having more elasticity (spelling?) so will resist stone chips better.

Cheers mate, I'll give the coaters a ring and see what they say. Got some prep work to do 1st. I would prefer to have them powder coated. Just hope the powder coating company I choose is a good one lol.

they may be able to blast them for you. Its part of the job when Ive had wheels done in the past. plenty of info online about available finshes etc.... ive been trawling for hours finding the right colour for my wheels

dunno but when i had my bike frame powder coated, it chipped like crazy!! it is a very hard scratch resistant finish but seems very brittle and when it chipped it chipped!!

would imagine stones being thrown up from the wheels would chip the hell out of it, dont know if that was because of the way it was done by the powder coater or thats just the way it is? the frame was sandblasted prior to being done,

Cheers, it's good to hear both sides for and against. I've had stuff powder coated before but the parts weren't exposed the way the subframe and rear beam are.

Have a look at kipvw's. gallery, I'm sure he had a different kind of powder coating that is more durable. Rear beam and subframe etc

Great stuff thanks. Like I say I'd searched a lot before posting up and it seems like an age old debate.

Been reading about something called epoxy mastic which seems quite good if you. Slice some of the hype, but then again I bought into the reviews of por15 and ended up disappointed.

For anyone interested here's a link to a brand of epoxy mastic

http://www.rust.co.uk/epoxy-mastic.cfm

I blasted my sub frame myself at work, we have a heavy duty grit blaster so it is a lot courser than sand blasting and it took ages, so I do wonder how long these places spend on things like rusty sub frames with a sand blaster as it would take them so long to do properly. If there is a good amount of rust on it then the sand blaster will struggle.

It could be worth taking your bits and pieces to a place that has a proper grit blaster, then get them powder coated. That way you would see the results before taking it them to the powder coater.

Cheers wild animal. Your right how much time do they actually put into the sandblasting. To me they'll turn things round as quickly as possible. The subframe is pretty good the wishbones look terrible but I'm getting new ones from vw and the beam is quite bad. My plan is to clean them as much as possible with a wire wheel on an angle grinder. Then get them blasted then I think I'm going to give the epoxy mastic route a try.