Sign in to follow this  
VW Corrado 16V

195/50 or 205/50 ?

I thought of going one size bigger because of the tightchested

heart attack I had when I went to price 4 michelin energys for the 16 valver.

The tyre boys explained that the next size up ws far more common and therefore cheaper.

Chubbz

I`ve tried 205\50\15 tyres on my g60 and found the handling had lost a bit of it`s sharpness. Best to stick with the original 195\50\15.

I've had 205 and 195 tyres on 16" wheels on both my Corrado G60 and Golf 16V and can say that the handling is much better and you even seem to get more grip, especially in the wet with the 195 tyres.

In my experience the suspension on these cars doesn't seem especially suited to 205 tyres.

Tyres for the VR6 are bloody pricey!

I recently got 195/50/15 Eagle F1 GSD3's done at my local tyre place for £44/corner? Surely thats not too expensive? The tyres for the 14" alloys on my Saxo cost more than that!!

You need to shop around - I paid something crazy like £70/corner for some pretty generic Dunlops on my last Corrado with the same sized wheels.

I thought of going one size bigger because of the tightchested

heart attack I had when I went to price 4 michelin energys for the 16 valver.

The tyre boys explained that the next size up ws far more common and therefore cheaper.

Chubbz

More rubber on the road = more grip, plain and simple :lol:

I had 205/15s on my MK2 Golf turbo because of the extra grunt and the fact I wanted to keep the original wheels. The grip was way better than the 195s.

The tyre boys are talking pap where the 205/50s are concerned, they're not cheaper at all, far from it. 205/50 is not a common size.

I heartily recommend the Bridgestone Potenza RE720 if you go with the 205/50s. Superb tyres with stiff sidewalls and rim protectors. They also have a dual compound, so the more they wears, the stickier they become. Only snag is they're about £70 each from online places.....you're looking at £90 a corner if you drive into a tyre place....which you need to bear in mind!

K

The standard tyres on the Sebring wheel were 185/55 15s. I think that'll be what the fitters were talking about. 195/50 15s cost loads less than them. You could get a set of 4 fitted for less than 200. I bought Michelin Exaltos from Costco for 178 fitted. 205/50 15 Toyos for my MK 3 16V cost me 185 delivered from Mytyres.co.uk. Good money if you know someone that'll fit them cheap. Yokohama A539s are about the same money.

Gavin

I've curently got 195/50's on my speedlines. not driven the corrado on them yet, but I know for a fact that 195's on the golf VR were uselss, it was chirping in 3rd. Grip on 215/40/16's was awesome though.

I've got the Bridgestone RE720's in size 195/50/15 on mine. Bloody good.

The rim protectors are a fantastic idea, why don't all companies do them!! Mine cost about £50 each from Micheldever Tyres in Hampshire.

I've curently got 195/50's on my speedlines. not driven the corrado on them yet, but I know for a fact that 195's on the golf VR were uselss, it was chirping in 3rd. Grip on 215/40/16's was awesome though.

i would watch out insurance wise tho...............if you were to have an accident your insurance could void any claim due to the fact that you are "under-tyred"......as 205/50VR15 is standard tyre size for the VR

You say that get Bridgestone and Good Year for about 50 evro... In my country they are min 100 evro for piece! And I'm gonna buy BFGoodrich G-force Profiler. What you will say about him? So 195/50 VR15 are the original for 1.8i 16V Corrado right?

I've got the Bridgestone RE720's in size 195/50/15 on mine. Bloody good.

The rim protectors are a fantastic idea, why don't all companies do them!! Mine cost about £50 each from Micheldever Tyres in Hampshire.

Hurrah!!! someone else that agrees with me on these absolutely awesome tyres :lol:

Got 4 of them in 205/15 flavour on the VR. I have yet to try a better all rounder. They have F1 stickiness but are way way better made.

K

You say that get Bridgestone and Good Year for about 50 evro... In my country they are min 100 evro for piece! And I'm gonna buy BFGoodrich G-force Profiler. What you will say about him? So 195/50 VR15 are the original for 1.8i 16V Corrado right?

well not in the uk.......UK-market 1.8 16v's came as standard with 185/55 Vr 15 on sebrings