Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged Junkie

G60 Boost gauge fitting

Hi,

I got an electric boost gauge for my G60, i know where to connect it too to get a boost/vacum reading but the instructions state that it must be connected to a switched +12 volt source that maintains power during engine cranking ?

Any ideas what stays active when going from the ON position to the START position ?

Also would the later type indicator and wiper stalks fit straight onto an early J 92 Corrado, and where the cheapest place to get these stalks ?

Cheers for any help

Ian

The later stalks do fit but I'm not sure exactly how. It's a mod that was done to my car by the previous owner so I couldn't tell you if it was easy or not. Some other people have done this mod on here so I'm sure they will help you out mate.

I dont know about the raddo, cos TBH I aint looked there, but on the golf fuse box round the back, there were 3 clusters of unused male spade connectors, 1 cluster was earth, one was permanent and the other was ignition power, maybe someone can confirm if the same is true of the corrado. (otherwise just put your hand round the back for a feel.)

HTH

I have an electronic boost gauge and I took a tap from the stereo live that is controlled by turning the key. Mines works but I can't really see why you would want to maintain power during start up unless it has a memory function. But again I'm assuming there will be no reading as the power was cut before starting.

HTH

It needs a power supply during start up for a self calibration test :?

Gonna finish it off 2moro, just done the blanking plate for the gauge to sit in at the mo

Whats the easy way of getting behind the centre console without remove the damn thing :?:

If you are mouting below the ash tray go in via the passanger foot well. Drill a hole thru for wires and there should be no need to remove the center console.

Just remove the shelf under the glove box.

Will the unit not do the self test after the engine starts again?

Mine does a test but I've not noticed if it repeats after the engine has started.

Which gauge did you get?

The gauge is going where the ashtray is at the mo, never use the ashtray so thats going completely. made the mounting plate for it just need to fit & wire it up.

The gauge is a Auto meter 4376 boost/vac gauge,which i got from america.

It states in the instructions that it must be connected to a switched +12v source that maintains power during engine cranking, otherwise the auto zero function will not work properly and incurrate readings will result :!: :idea:

Just to make sure did you connect your boost gauge to the intake manifold, the tube that goes to the fuel pressure regulator because thats where i was told to fit it too :?:

Ian

Yip thats where I fitted mine just pop off the nipple and your good to go. Be careful not to bend as the plastic becomes brittle and can snap.

Now I'm not sure if I'm wrong but the vacume created is used for the brakes so make sure the connection is good not only will the car run like a bag of sh&% but you could have no brakes(I'm not 100% on this but better safe than sorry I guess) if the tube pops off.

The gauge is a Auto meter 4376 boost/vac gauge,which i got from america.

It states in the instructions that it must be connected to a switched +12v source that maintains power during engine cranking, otherwise the auto zero function will not work properly and incurrate readings will result :!: :idea:

Ian

I guess this is true but as there will be no boost when you start this reading will be zero and the vac I guess will be nothing also before you start so your min and max readings will be out until you boot it and these will override the readings in memory so I guess its correct but the results will not be of any use.

I mounted mine in the glove box so I just set the memory and close it so I dont keep looking at the dam thing :shock:

I guess that will work but it would mean a T piece so as the function that tube carrys out still works. At the end of the day I'm guessing that the readings will be the same either way. I would say the method I done was easier as its a stright fit. It was someone on the e group that adivsed me so I can only pass on the way I was told. I only get boost on my guage, so no Vac, dont know if the above will work for Vac at a guess I would say yes but not proven.

Sorry if I have confused matters I would say by the looks of things you will get the same result just thru a different means.