Sign in to follow this  
Bobbywhacker

Direct Line.. GGGRRRR

Hiya,

Being an honest soul, I decided to inform Direct line about my new Miltek and K 'n' N, big mistake... slapped on £120 payment and I had to agree to no more future mods..... but that is of course silly, just plain silly! :shock:

So I guess that would rule out lowering, supercharger (perhaps!), shrek, cams etc..... so basically what can I do to the VR that they a)can't find out about b)can't bill me more.... I know the easy route is to just not tell them, but sod's law dictates I would then crash into a McLaren F1 with 'null and void' insurance! :cry:

Are Amd chips detectable? Can I fit in.pros etc.... if some1 could put my mind at rest, pretty please

Ditch Direct Line mate, and try speaking to some insurers who know a bit more about cars and especially modified cars.

Brentacre, Adrian Flux, Greenlight, HIC to name but a few.. pick up a copy of Performance VW and try a few numbers out of there. These guys are a bit more realistic when it comes to mods... Direct Line were always good for me on standard cars, but modifieds are a no no.

I've been with Direct Line for ages & as Jims16v says they are great on standard cars (which mine is at the mo, more or less!), I only pay about £430 fully comp for my VR, but try adding any mods & they'll spank you good & proper! My previous car was a 2.6 Audi coupe which I put 17" split rims on - told DL & they bumped my premium up by nearly 20%!!!... just for alloys. I shopped around a bit & Churchill would allow me limited mods at no extra cost (not sure how far they'd let you go though)

Cheers,

Robbo

problem is i've only had the VR 2months or so, hence the insurance is only 2months old! Can't really cancel it coz I'll lose to much on the deposit. Only went with DL at the time coz the C bankrupted me so much n DL came up trumps .. pee'd off now tho :p

Can insurances tell if I've fitted aftermarket cams?? Or changed the final drive?

Not easily.. I think they only really go to town when they spot obvious modifications..

"You appear to have a 2.9 VR6 stuffed under the bonnet of this 1.4 Lupo.. how do you explain that sir?"

Problem is the day you have a crash, is the day they happen to send a guy along who knows a lot about VW's or something. I personally wouldn't risk it, and I declared all the mods on my car simply because :

a) I don't want them to have ANY excuse if I need them to pay out in the event of a smash

b) I would like all mods reimbursed like for like in the event that the car was stolen!

do they reimburse mods then?? I was always under the impression you only received the standard car's value.

This all means I have to wait til next Jan until I can do anything!! I suppose it'll help me save up for it tho :cry:

Yup, can only confirm that DL will insure modded cars, but they charge for it. Whgen I first had my Mk1 Rocco (heavily modded, bodykit, engine, wheels, LHD at that, the lot basically) they did insure it but at £630 TPFT :shock: I then switched to HIC fully comp with an agreed valuation (proved very useful as shortly afterwards some Nissan git decided to rear-end me :x ) and only paid £420 :shock:

Still with DL with my Rado, paying £700 TPFT, ouch, guess that's Coventry for you. Will try some other co's soon to get some better deals.

Tempest

I was paying £740 fully comp..... 24yrs old, 6yrs no claims, no points whatsoever and the buggers hit me with a £120 tariff... wonder if they'd do the same if I switched the VR lump for a 1.0L Nova mouse-wheel lol :-P