Madjackal

Grrr and aaaargh (Oil filter housing woes)

When I first did an oil change on my last VR I spent half a day trying to get the oil filter housing off, when I did put it back I did it hand tight and never had any subsequent problems. I am now doing my first oil change on the new VR and guess what, it wont budge. I've even snapped my new unused strap wrench trying to do it. Also I hate to say it but the filter was last changed by Stealth of all people! Its such a ballache to get to as well I have a flexible hose and a metal hose running right under the housing so no hope of getting a socket on there, and if it was even just an inch lower it would be so much easier to get to. I'm now stuffed as idiot that I am I drained the oil first so cant run myself up to halfords to get some more tools to break! Damit!

Rant over....

I just punch a long screwdriver through the filter and use that to wrench it off. Always worked when the filter wont budge with a strap/chain wrench. Just prime the filter and put some oil on the seal before refitting to ensure it doesn't happen again. :smug:

I just punch a long screwdriver through the filter and use that to wrench it off. Always worked when the filter wont budge with a strap/chain wrench. Just prime the filter and put some oil on the seal before refitting to ensure it doesn't happen again. :smug:

Cant do it that way chap, the filter sits inside a plastic housing that has to be taken off. God only knows why they thought plastic was the best material!!