KIPVW

Removing Hub From Hub Casing/housing :/

Hi all,

Right about to attack the whole drivetrain and will be removing the subframe and all that bolts to it.

Question is i usually place an axle stand where the subframe bolts to the car but as i need to remove the subframe where do you support the weight og the whole front end? i was thinking the boxed/square section just behind the rear most subframe bolts!

Anyone done it before? tried to search but there seems to be more threads on jacking points rather than support points.

Thanks in advance.

Kip.

Edited by KIPVW

I just used the strengthened floor area in between the sill and subframe mount, I think there's a 'ribbed' section that is particularly strong, or a slightly lower area next to it, you want to protect the underseal though, rag/wood, cardboard or something between the stand top and car.

Mines currently sitting on those box sections at the minute mate been on thee for some 7 months now.

Fuzz, you mean the box section just behind the bolt on the subframe to body?

they're strong enough, but a bit too far back for my liking, especially if the VR lump stays in the bay!

might be four stands then :/ I hate jacking it up so high! :(

might be four stands then :/ I hate jacking it up so high! :(

---------- Post added at 2:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:42 PM ----------

Yeah when i actually drop the subframe i'll be using one that stretches across the wings.

I'll be supporting my engine using a hoist to take the weight of the axcel stands when im replacing my sub-frame :)

Guess that lifts all the weight off the axle stands too if the engine is free off the mounting points. Hmmmmm.

Wrestling to get the shafts off in the mean time though :/

Im honestly not looking forward to replacing my sub-frame.... so will be interested in hearing your best practice doing it with the engine in :) everything sounds good in theory!

my sub-frame will be ready to collect tomorrow, just need get some new wishbones sorted and get the bolts, bushes ordered etc...

hoping nothing snapps off on removal!

Right all things removed from hub and hub & carrier now flapping around, cant get the bloody drive shaft out of the hub though. used a gear puller and feel it'll break if i carry on winding it. any ideas? never removed it so pretty stubborn :(

A hefty softish punch should do the trick, might be easier to bang the hub bolts back into the suspension to stop it flopping about while you do it...

...failing that remove the driveshaft from the gearbox end and take the whole lot to a solid bench/vice and work on it there.

Because you've got a "plus running gear" on the C, a gear puller is acting against you due to the way they revised the driveshaft/hub splines.

You need to push parallel the driveshaft out of the back of the hub.

Need a tool that will attach to the wheel bolt positions and a centre to push the driveshaft out the back....aka VAG Press Tool 3283A. Tool pick up on 3 of the 5 wheel bolt positions. Centre bolt pushes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]64089[/ATTACH]

Not a cheap tool even by third party source.

yea gear puller is what you want, might be worth twating the centre with a hammer once you think the puller is tight enough, thats what i used, also might be worth spraying penetrateing fluid in there aswell, and yea those box sections under the car is where i jack mine up from,alto stronger then the sills, same with the back it has a nice big flat section, my sills dont get touched,,

the big puller in this pic is exactly the same one i used, just put the hooks on to the back of hub and skrew it in,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-3PC-BEARING-HUB-GEAR-PULLER-SET-75MM-100MM-150MM-/180870740743?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a1cbc7b07

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

Well the shafts were too stubborn to get out so removed the whole hub housing too and i'll drop them into my local Geezer at skoda garage next to work to remove them :)

Enjoyed doing it though. next phase will be subframe so better get the engine support sorted first.

Thanks for the tips fellas, very kind as ever.

Think i'd better start using my members gallery for future questions :)

Kip the puller that Vr owner shows will do the trick perfectly, I did all my front end a few weeks back and this tool was a gem! Wind it tight then give the hub a knock with a sand hammer or equivalent and it will free off instantly pal.

Will have a go at knocking theseeking Skoda man lol. I'd like tim do it myself too. m off before

Enjoyed doing it though.

QUOTE]

liar!! :lol:

---------- Post added at 9:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:27 PM ----------

Enjoyed doing it though.

QUOTE]

liar!! :lol:

I did and I do :-) like learning stuff and wasn't half as bad as I expected. Hope the rest comes off ok too though.

Doing exactly this at the moment on mine if you need any pics, had the same problem with the hubs.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Yeah sorry for late reply bud just behind the subframe bolts. Mines there as the subframe on mine is fresh so didn't want to damage it. As said hitting with hammer may shock it enough. That said though i gave up on mine and took whole lot down to my mate and used an air windy gun and buzzed off in a crack.

Anyway prob too late with reply but glad u enjoying buddy :)

s.

Right then, got the shafts out myself with much persistance and a little heat in the end, broke my hammer in the process to had to go fetch a new one but upgraded to a 2.5 lb mofo. :lol:

I also bent the hub casing badly by whacking it too much but i have 2 new ones that i bought a few years ago that had been coated so no probs there, so anyone tackling it be careful you dont do the same.

Now the shafts are away how does the bloody hub section come off? I removed the 3 screws but still no luck?

Will need new rotors anyway but was hoping to get the hubs out ok.

Ta! ;)