toledo

Autocar & Motor - Road test of Corrado 31-05-1989

I thought some of you guys might find this interesting , let me know if there are any problems with it as i haven't done this kind of thing before !!!

Matt

http://www3.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=16104428010/a=4361993010_4361993010/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

---------- Post added at 7:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:41 PM ----------

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1982062@N21/?added=2

Alternative link

Edited by toledo

Its interesting to read this original review for a 1.8 16v KR. I had a Mk2 8V Golf GTI for 10yrs and loved the car. I always fancied a Corrado and its only recently that I was able to buy a 2L 16v 9A. To be honest I am disappointed with the ride. The ride was firm in the Golf but good. After replacing shockers, bump stops, top mounts, wishbones etc, even ditching 17 wheels in favour of 15 Westwoods, the ride in the Corrado is not what I would have expected. This article basically agrees with my experience-its not happy with potholes.

Its true the car has some getup and go, it flies 4000-6000 rpm. It corners flat and precisely so it lives up to its billing as being a great handling fwd car.

My 1990 BMW 318ti compact sport with 16 wheels (also 16v 140bhp but rwd) cant compare with performance especially at the top end, but the ride is so much better. It corners well and absorbs the potholes (87K and all original suspension) and is a joy to drive here in the Lake District (my daily drive).

In case you are wondering, the Corrado has standard Sachs/Boge shockers on the front and Bilstein B4s on the rear.

Ive read many threads on suspension and wonder what the ride is like for all these cars with coilovers/stiffened and shortened struts/larger wheels? Are there some Corrados out there that not only handle well but with a good ride quality?

Yup, all original VW suspension as I recently witnessed on 2cc´s 16V KR Rado. Rolls a little bit more than on aftermarket suspension, but still goes around corners very happily, and potholes aren´t really a problem.

Given the state of our roads, the fact they are absolutely NOT like a nice smooth race track (just spotted today that Cov. City Council decided to ruin a perfectly good road by resurfacing it with this latest contraption, some gash tiny-stone based surface, stones flying all over the place, rough as hell, huge resulting tyre wear and tyre noise, uncomfortable ride in almost any car), best to buy a 4x4 actually :lol:

Tempest

Tempest

Not sure how the VR compares, but I found the Corrado VR6 ride on standard suspension to be very smooth compared with the MK2.

Its interesting to read this original review for a 1.8 16v KR. I had a Mk2 8V Golf GTI for 10yrs and loved the car. I always fancied a Corrado and its only recently that I was able to buy a 2L 16v 9A. To be honest I am disappointed with the ride. The ride was firm in the Golf but good. After replacing shockers, bump stops, top mounts, wishbones etc, even ditching 17 wheels in favour of 15 Westwoods, the ride in the Corrado is not what I would have expected. This article basically agrees with my experience-its not happy with potholes.

Its true the car has some getup and go, it flies 4000-6000 rpm. It corners flat and precisely so it lives up to its billing as being a great handling fwd car.

My 1990 BMW 318ti compact sport with 16 wheels (also 16v 140bhp but rwd) cant compare with performance especially at the top end, but the ride is so much better. It corners well and absorbs the potholes (87K and all original suspension) and is a joy to drive here in the Lake District (my daily drive).

In case you are wondering, the Corrado has standard Sachs/Boge shockers on the front and Bilstein B4s on the rear.

Ive read many threads on suspension and wonder what the ride is like for all these cars with coilovers/stiffened and shortened struts/larger wheels? Are there some Corrados out there that not only handle well but with a good ride quality?

Have you checked if the springs are standard ?

Quote from the review: '....it can feel jiggly and lumpy around town. The suspension doesn't cope too well with broken surfaces, less so with potholes, which it thumps over with little dignity.'

That my experience of the Corrado. I'm pretty sure that my springs are original. With 15" wheels, the expresion involving 'tractor', often used of standard suspension, seems to apply!!