smudge

Intermittent oil light and buzzer - vr6 need some advice

Need a bit of advice on next step to fix this!!

Happened fist time driving home from Stealth having had over £3000 of work done. Just for a couple of seconds - oil level was fine no leaks. Stopped and fault cleared - called Vince said to check wiring which seams ok.

Fault returned and senders replaced - all good for a month - stored for winter. Out of storage and light and buzzer!!! Got new oil pump and had vw service yesterday – I know it was unlikely the pump was broken but as planning to keep car and had new sump to fit – bit of peace of mind.

No warnings lights on the way to garage!

Service done - new pump added and new sump (alu. one). Extended road test and no fault. Drove up the road to Aberdeen last night and all fine for around an hour.

After an hour light and buzzer. No leaks and level fine. Having said level is fine can you have a look at the dip stick pictures my car is a 1995 vr6 and from what I have read here I shouldn’t have the plastic bit?

If you drive around 2000rmp all good. At around 2500 light and buzzer - stop and restart all fine until 2500rpm. If I slow down to stop light and buzzer stays on 8 times out of 10. The other 2 times when I stopped or took car out of gear light and buzzer off.

Have just double checked the connections this morning and cold oil level. Squeezed one of the connectors a bit (blue one) and felt a bit firmer on the sender. Just been out to my mates for a blast in his RS3 (he scared me to death!!) and all good on the way there. On the way back intermittent warnings, not constant like last night.

I am thinking the next step is to replace spade connector and 10cm of wiring see if that helps. Any tips on technique as no room there at all? I can only get hand in with car jacked up a bit? Also where should I go for wire and connectors - was thinking about Dingbro thought I could cut them off and go down with them?

One last question guys what is the other elec. connector in the last pic? is that for the optional pressure gauge?

Edited by smudge

Squeezed spade connectors a bit more see how I get on today - after that Dingbro for some new bits.

Going to get my mini comps booted at Costco as they have 20% - see if I have fixed it!!

Spending more money than I should but dont feel bad spending money on my corrado:) just as well I hear you say!!

The front tyres on the solitudes are still legal but not much grip - the pilot sport 3 get good reviews decided on balance not as sticky as the sp2's but might last a bit longer.

Squeezed spade connectors a bit more see how I get on today - after that Dingbro for some new bits.

Going to get my mini comps booted at Costco as they have 20% - see if I have fixed it!!

Spending more money than I should but dont feel bad spending money on my corrado:) just as well I hear you say!!

The front tyres on the solitudes are still legal but not much grip - the pilot sport 3 get good reviews decided on balance not as sticky as the sp2's but might last a bit longer.

Does anyone know if one of the 3 senders in the filter housing (last image) is a pressure sender for the optional guages? If anyone could point out which does what, I'd be very grateful.

Hi Lowfly - think it is the one at the top of last picture - but I would like to double check myself.

Anyone help with my question about dip stick? Think I am right in saying my 1995 VR6 doesn't have the plastic bit but wanted to be sure anyone? (pics 1 and 2).

Been driving about a fair bit today and for now squeezing connectors has worked!

I had it on my KR. It went away for a up to 2 weeks, then just randomly came back for a day or two. It happened at either low or high revs, cold or warm. I changed both sensors, dropped the sump and cleaned the pickup, checked the pump and had it pressure tested, and still never got to the bottom of it. I put it down to either the clocks or the wiring but obviously being intermittent its very hard to track down. I had to live with it.........Until last week. :(