Sign in to follow this  
seanoVR

New speakers?

Has anyone got any advice on upgrading all of my speakers?? Am not really in to the whole sub/amp thing, just want decent speakers. Have got a fairly good head unit already.

Also i don't think there are any door speakers, just grilles. Will it need wiring to put speakers in there, as i know alot of raddo's have speakers here.

Cheers

i have kenwood components in the front with the crossover hidden behind the dash and the tweaters in the original corrado tweater holders. there should be speaker wire already there but i put my own stuff in anyway.

in the rear i have some oval (mini 6x9 style) kenwoods with the standard wiring

they sounded great running from my sony MD headunit, but i added a basslink recently to give that added punch

Vibe components in mine - 300w 6x9's in my custom made MDF parcel shelf & components in the front doors via a 4x120w amplifier.

http://www.vibeaudio.co.uk/vibe.asp

Excellent quality - be sure to use oxgen-free speaker cables though, made almost as much difference as changing the speakers IMO.

I am looking to get a new set of 6x9s as well.

Was considering the following:

Infinity Reference 6903i £49.99 (usually 100+??)

Kenwood KFC6979ie £49.99

SONY-XSF6932 £55

Just to be used with a 4x47W kenwood headunit.

What is best? I am thinking the Infinitys

Replaced my door speakers with Boston FS50s. (approx £150) They come with a seperate tweeter which I mounted just above the door speaker. Disconnected the dash tweeter and replaced all the original wiring.

Original rears I replaced with JBL GTOs 6"x4". (Approx £50). I had to cut back the underneath speaker 'cover/support' back a bit but its not noticeable as it doesn't affect the actual physical support of the speaker, its more cosmetic.

Sound is excellent - with Alpine 9813R (4x60 watt) but could still do with a bit more Bass but this is typical of ALL 'standard/original size' speakers. Next step for me is an Infinity Basslink! Cheaper and smaller than a sub/amp combo wth enough bass to satisfy me.

yup, I'm with you Tattie,

Original fit JBL GTOs in the rear, Component JBLs up front (standard size in the door, tweeter in the dash) and an Infinity Bass link in the boot... 8)

Sounds lovely.. :D

I am looking to get a new set of 6x9s as well.

Was considering the following:

Infinity Reference 6903i £49.99 (usually 100+??)

Kenwood KFC6979ie £49.99

SONY-XSF6932 £55

Just to be used with a 4x47W kenwood headunit.

What is best? I am thinking the Infinitys

Go with the infinitys 8)

Original fit JBL GTOs in the rear, Component JBLs up front (standard size in the door, tweeter in the dash) and an Infinity Bass link in the boot... 8)

How much for this kind of set up, considering i'll need all 6 speakers and maybe some wiring too?

Also what is an infinity bass link?? Is it a combined amp/sub??

Cheers guys for all your replies

Sound is excellent - with Alpine 9813R (4x60 watt) .

I was thinking about buying this head unit, have you had any problems with it, is the front pannel motorised (any problems with that).

How much for this kind of set up, considering i'll need all 6 speakers and maybe some wiring too?

Also what is an infinity bass link?? Is it a combined amp/sub??

Cheers guys for all your replies

Rear JBLs were about £35 Fronts were about £75 (all 4 and crossovers included!) and my Basslink was £145

I've got some MB Qaurt 6x4's got em for about £60...alpine 6.5" Type R components on custom builds for doors and they have a seperate tweeter.

*not upgraded dash speakers...but will buy alpine tweeters for A-pillar mounting at ear height and some SR40 Vibe 4" coaxials to be powered off my 9815RB alpine unit.

The components in doors are amped via a V12 4channel amp at 200watts each side...

a 2004 rockford 12" sub in boot powered also by a V12 2channel amp at 800watts.

take care fitting rear speaker as you may have to cut the underneath of the shelf supports which have a cage type plastic thing..as the GTO's and any other 6x4's mainly have a bigger magnet.

all wiring runs on either side of the centre tunnel and also under door trim. i.e. RCA's for amps run on left side of tunnel....Speaker wire runs on right side of tunnel and Power wire runs on passenger side door.

all bolted down on a false floor etc and door pods are just boards with holes cut out, padded and screwed securely using existing holes in doors left from previous door pockets..

these however dont have the pockets...but i didnt use them anyway. :oops:

Check out:

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4120

for photos of the stuff. 8)

Sanj.

Ended up going with Infinity 9603i's. Fitted them this evening after nipping down to b&q to buy a jigsaw :)

Really happy with them - had a listen to about 8 different ones in shop first.

The JBLs had a lot of bass but they were very unrefined compared to the infinitys, the equivalent kenwood/pioneer etc didnt come close to either IMHO :)

Was an easy decision after listening to them all. oooo.....and they look cool being white :)

JBL and Infinity are both made by the same manufacturer (Harman Group)... which is, IMHO, the best manufacturer of quality, reasonable price, mass produced speakers... 8)

JBL are aimed at a slightly different market to the infinities, and you've hit the nail on the head about the Infinity's being more refined than the JBLs in a showroom environment... In a car, there's not a huge difference... 8)

Glad you got sorted out... 8)