Sign in to follow this  
CorradoCymru

Wheel Bearing Problems

Hi,

Recently changed my passenger side wheel bearing after it completely collapsed on me causing the disc to grind against the caliper making a god awful squel. :(

This was about 2 months ago, and guess what??

:?:

It's gone again, so what I wanted to know was could anything else be causing it to go or is it just s##t workmanship by the garage and dodgy parts. I dont know what parts they fitted by the way.

cheers guys

Front or back bearing mate? Can't do a front up too tight but you could on a rear making it fail early.

Gavin

did you get to see the hub whislt it was in bits? it maybe kanckered, causing the bearing not to seat correctly.

the last time I had a bearing go (well, I snapped the end off the CV joint actually) it damaged the hub too.

I didnt see any of the work done but it was the front wheel, jacked the car up earlier and the whell just floped about.

phoned the garage and they cant see it until tuesday. Can you make a broken bearing appear fixed, i.e pack it with grease???

check your strut to hub bolts as these can come loose and do what your saying

and no you cant pack a front with grease to make it appear fixed

also most bearings come with a 12000 mile 12 month warrenty

could be a worn stub axle tho had 3 bearings go on my sisters rear of her nova , on the trot so changed the stub axle and all was fine for the next 4 years till she sold it

If the wheel can move about maybe they didn't do the hub nut up. Chances are, if you have done much mileage the new bearing will be toast due to the incorrect loads you have placed on it.

Do your brakes feel ok? A slack front bearing can let the disc knock the pads/piston back into the caliper. You would then need to push the pedal further to take up the slack.

Gavin

H100VW, good point......

CorradoCymru, assuming you havent already loosened anything off, if you go out to the car, put it in gear with the handbrake brake on and check if you can turn the hubnut with a socket and ratchet.....a bit of an exageration...but u and 3 of you biggest mates should be able to do the cancan on the end of the ratchet without the nut moving!!! If it moves.....it was too loose.

exturbo2003, thats a valid point for the rear bearings, and I dont know how the Vauxhall bearing /stub axle go together, but on the c there is an outer and inner race that come in the bearing kit so the stub axle itself does not have any moving parts touching it, so it shouldnt wear.

yeah guys the brakes do need two pumps, one to take the slack and the next to stop me.

anyway dropped the car into the garage this morning and should have it back on tuesday, it had to happen on a bloody bank holiday!!!