carrots

16v wont turn over new reg fitted brushes worn

hi went for a drive today about 90 mile all was fine untill i turned the car off and tried to start it.it was dead wouldnt turn over so i thought its the starter motor.got home and put jump leads on and it started fine.so that makes me think alternator or battery.the wipers have seemed slow the last few days .any ideas

---------- Post added at 7:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:21 PM ----------

alternator light not on also

---------- Post added at 7:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:36 PM ----------

alternator light not on when car running

Edited by carrots

Stick a multimeter on your battery and check the voltage,then start the car and check it again.If the voltage doesnt increase,then its not charging from the alternator

ive just put a spare battery on and it started fine,i will borrow the tester from work tommorow.hope its not the alternator there not cheap

If it's the alternator not charging properly it could be the regulator. Two screws off and on, about £12 from ECP

ive had a recon years ago done in a back street shop,i am sure he just hit it wth a hammer sprayed it black and gave it me back.i took it back 3 times

---------- Post added at 7:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:54 AM ----------

If it's the alternator not charging properly it could be the regulator. Two screws off and on, about £12 from ECP

i will put the tester on it to see what power its chucking out if any,where is ecp

just tested it its showing 12.53volts which is not enough says the tester

Is that with the car running or with the engine switched off?

had four or five alternators refurbed over the yrs ( different cars ) and have always been spot on obviously using the wrong back street garage bud

hi ive orderd a regulator off ebay.did you remove the alternator from car to fit the regulator

It can be done in situ but it's fiddly. I took the ealternator off. Not more than half an hour.

ive taken it off before when i done the water pump.suppose i could give it a good clean and spray it the same time.just hope the regulator sorts it.

---------- Post added at 7:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:21 PM ----------

ive taken it off before when i done the water pump.suppose i could give it a good clean and spray it the same time.just hope the regulator sorts it.

fitted a new regulator today £12.50 off ebay.i didnt remove the alternator to fit it.the bushes looked worn out.

Edited by carrots

tested the alternator and its showing good on the tester and putting out 14.2volts under load .happy days