jaded2882

Best HID kits for Corrados

My new C doesn't have Kurzy's excellent uprated loom on, so I'm back to horrid standard dim bulbs...

I went for the uprated loom on the G60 as I had standard headlights. I then changed to inpros and output was even better, but now the inpros are on the new car I thought I'd look into going the whole hog with some HIDs.

Should I get the uprated loom AND a HID kit? What are the best 'off the shelf' kits for Corrados? I am pretty good at following technical stuff if I have some good instructions, but I am hopeless at electronics, so don't want to buy a load of stuff that won't work / I don't know how to fit!

Anyone?? I have tried the search but I'm only finding stuff from 5+ years ago so thinking there may be some newer info.

They were outlawed in the last changes to the MOT rules (from April) so you can only have HIDs fitted if you have headlight washers and a self-levelling system. Don't think anybody's gone to the hassle of doing it properly...

Stone

In regards to headlights, it's not a grey area at all - see the DFT's discussion paper [link]. In particular:

The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective, the vehicle will fail.

This raises the question of whether these checks apply to vehicles fitted with after-market HID lighting kits. These kits convert conventional halogen headlamps to HID Xenon and they are widely sold and fitted to vehicles used on the road. The Department for Transport considers that after-market systems should be required to meet the same safety standards as that applied in respect of these lamps at vehicle Type Approval. Therefore, in order to pass the MOT

test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems.

What is a grey area is with regards to HID bulbs on a halogen-style base for indicators, foglights and taillights - same as with headlights these will result in an incorrect beam pattern because of the mismatch between the optics designed for the original halogen bulbs and the new light output characteristics from HIDs, but since beam pattern isn't so important for these it's got a bit more room for discretion.

More to the point, the AA's guide to the changes includes the following gem:

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators

So technically everyone with tinted lights should fail if there's too much tint on them... :bonk:

All the more reason to make friends with a sensible/pragmatic local MoT tester!

Stone

No they are just a projector rather than reflector, still designed for halogen bulbs.

The latest MOT Inspection Manual published by VOSA is dated 1st January 2012 and takes account of the 50 or so changes to the regulations following the revised EU testing directive (2009/40/EC) adopted on 31st December 2011. There is no requirement for washing and suspension or headlamp self-levelling systems to be fitted with HIDs. It provides only that any which are fitted must work correctly, viz:-

"Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch."

The current IVA Inspection Manual for M1 vehicles excludes the requirement for cleaning and self-levelling headlamp devices to be fitted to new cars where the intensity of the light source is not more than 2000 lumens (12000K bulb and higher).

The AA's guide, which was updated on 27th June, reads as follows:-

"Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted the tester will switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

The car will fail if a headlamp levelling or cleaning device is inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail."

and

"The new testable components subject to the 'bedding in' period are:

headlamp levelling and cleaning devices when fitted for HID or LED headlamps...."

Edited by Anton Sobriquet