Sign in to follow this  
BeavisJem

Loosing water, Hope its not serious.

I have a black 1992 G60 and i am using a bit of water.

Its about 1/2 a litre every 1000 miles, is this alot, i fill to the max mark and then about 1000 miles later my water light comes on.

I have replaced the expantion cap and no luck.

There is slight sights or moisture below the waterway on the front of the block, my old golf leaked here and i just changed the rubber washer and it fixed it, could this be the culprit.

Hope is not the head gasket :cry: performance, fuel econemy are perfect and i haven't used a drop of oil in 8000 miles.

Can;t be dealing with big repairs, just had a £300 MOT :(

Any advice, where do i start looking, where are the normal areas to loose water.

Cheers for any help

Beavisjem

I had this same problem on my G60. It was the front water temp sender housing flange that was leaking. The face on the head had become pitted, and was not giving a good seal. I thought I had a pic....I sent it to Henny in MSM...if u still have it, then maybe you could post it. (its a pretty good example of a bad sealing surface!)

To fix, take off housing, buy a new one - £10 from stealer, comes with the £1 o-ring

Dry sealing the face on head, make sure there are no positive irregularities - i mean scrape of lumps, dont worry about pits

Apply a ring on instant gasket to the head (assuming the head is not a flat surface - if its a good clean surface, ignore this bit!)

put it back on, not too tight, or else the plastic will crack.....my bently aint installed...maybe someone else could tell us the torque.

fill up the water to between the min and max. I found if i put it up to max, the pressure in the system was much greater (there is less space for expansion in the expansion tank) and any weaknesses are uncovered.

Dont rev the engine until the instant gasket has dried fully.

Mine has been fine for over 2 months....still the same water level.

If this doesnt sort it....do the same to the to the housing beside the oil pressure switch on the flywheel side of the head.

It is also worth checking the jubilee clips on the rad......the rubber hose that goes onto the metal pipe from the water pump, and the lower connection on the rad was another leaker on my car.....now has two jubilees on the metal pipe side.

If all those things still dont sort it.....then start to panic!

But sinse u say it needs topped up every 1000 mls, then maybe u will have saved enough by then!! lol

I lost a load of water when I blew the headgasket on my Golf. Most went out the exhaust!! It did a great job of cleaning the pistons tho. :lol:

I replaced both the plastic outlets as they were dead and the head was out for skimming. When it was all back together I was ready to go home and there was water leaking out of the metal pipe that runs round from the pump to the heater and expansion tank.

GUTTED wasn't the word. 'Luckily' :?: it is a dealer only part and not the same as a 16V or digifant mk2. :roll: Chuff!!

New pipe £35 and alls been well since.

Gavin

stevemac, do u know wher your car is leaking water from? Same as mine was, or another place worth noting?

Haven't been bothered to look for it yet !!

I'm gonna have to get around to doing it though - progressively using more & more water. Definitely no water in the oil or oil in the water. Uses no oil at all. I'm convinced it's an external leak. I'm gonna have to check the sender unit seatings this weekend - job interview in Birmingham on Wednesday 8)

job interview in Birmingham on Wednesday

good luck!

Cheers m8 - I'm not gonna say where it is just yet but it maybe good news for all of us - if i get the job :wink:

good luck stevemac.

I am pretty sure its an external leak aswell, i will be changing the front flange thing (cheers andycowuk) at the weekend, i am the same as stevemac, oil is fine and the water colour is fine so no leaking into each other. I will have to try the rad hose thing. Just given the car a jolly good wash, looking good 8)

Steve if you find what your problem was then post it please, hopfully we can get a good list of "what to do if your loosing water" FAQ

I will post my results

Cheers for th responses

BeavisJEm

Just had a quick look - looks as though it's leaking from the plastic temp sender housing on the front of the engine. Lots of residue around the joint onto the pipe which branches off towards the driver's side. Still has the original factory hose clip securing the pipe - may have become weak over the years. I'm gonna clean it up & stick a jubilee clip on instead.

Bit late on this thread, but I was losing water from the front flange on my 16v (similiar to G60 maybe?). 'O' ring was veeeery flat after ten years plus of being bolted against a flat mating surface. Took some finding though, as when engine was cold water seeping in fairly large area, as soon as fired engine up and block got warm leak evidence dries out! If it's the same as on a 16v, I'd get some new flange bolts as well. I had to chisel the old aluminium flange off around the corroded stuck allen head bolts. Just about managed to free the old allen bolts off (thank God!). The new replacement flange item is now plastic, and the bolts are hexagon head rather than allen head, so I'm not the first to struggle it seems!

Good luck, if that's what it is.

Mark

I changed my flange for the new modified version that VW sell a few weeks back, slight water leak now gone!!