Sign in to follow this  
stevemac

Water leak ? Check these areas

Water leak on your Corrado ?

If your oil is ok/not contaminated & your water is not contaminated

Common areas to look at :-

1. Faulty header tank cap - common problem & very cheap - replace this first

2. Look for residue around all water pipe/hose connections, radiator, oil cooler, etc :wink:

3. G60 & 16v - check black plastic housings on front & side of engine - look for residue around sender unit seals

4. Worn/aged water hoses - check for "ballooning" & deteriorating rubber hoses

5. Weak hose clips - original factory clips may become weak with age - replace only with steel jubilee clips

6. Waterpump/thermostat housing - check for leaks & noisy bearings

Not forgetting the water pump itself, thats where mines starting to go - I can't beleive the chargers got to come off If I want to change the whole unit! :roll:

Not forgetting the water pump itself, thats where mines starting to go - I can't beleive the chargers got to come off If I want to change the whole unit! :roll:

My aux water pump failed leading to progressively severe loss of coolant.

Number 6 on Steve's list mate :wink:

Yeah your pump is sprouting a lovely pink moustache at the moment !

Number 6 on Steve's list mate :wink:

Yeah your pump is sprouting a lovely pink moustache at the moment !

I added number 6 to the list on the advice of Supercharged & vr6corrado :wink:

G60's and IIRC 16Vs (and probably all 4 cylinder C's ;) ) suffer from the flange on the SIDE of the head leaking as well as the one on the front... Both are a sod for cracking when re-fitted, so budget for a new flange as well as the O ring when you replace them! 8)

On a G60 there are 2 metal water pipes... one goes from between the pump and the bottom Rad hose, the other runs around the gearbox end of the engine.... Both are prone to rusting through and causing leaks... :| The gearbox one is actually the cheap one, with the bottom rad one being more expensive, even though it's a single pipe with no T pieces in! :roll: (£18.45 for the gearbox one, £44.93 for the rad one... :| )

Another common leak point is the the oil cooler... This is a real sod when it goes as it can be a pain to spot where it's leaking from, and if you're really unlucky (like I was with one of my Golfs) then it goes between the oil and water jackets causing a coffee coloured foam emulsion to appear in your water system making you think the head gasket's gone.... :evil:

ok I have a 1990 G60 and am from the states, I have a severe water problem and had created a post on G60's running hot with oil and water temps soaring for my car. I have the nasty brown color in my expansion tank and its leaving residue in there. some fine micro stuff nothing huge, the problems that I have been having were solved when I replaced the hose flange on the drivers side of the cylinder head. I gas the engine and I get a spot of water or two out the tail. dont know if this is condensation or if it is the headgasket? my car loses the coolant that it has creates an air pocket in the engine causing the water to boil out of the expansion tank, very hard to find mind you. it was running ok for a day, but noticed today that the WATER in the tank is this brown grit color. must love the corrado, small parts, one off peices, my kind of car.

potatonet, - this thread is for common water leak locations. I suggest that you re-post the above in your existing thread.