Mawrick

2.9 VR6 compared to the newer 3.2 VR6 - how do they compare in power?

I have my C with a 2.9 (dooohh - well as long as it isn't us spec ;) ), and I have a Passat V6 with the 3.2 VR6 engine - the latter beiing more powerful and they kinda feels the same - they have pretty much the same cool sound :)

But is the older VR kinda more "agressive" ? - and maybe "kicks" more at the top end then the newer one?. Kinda feels the newer one have a more "steady" "curve" from low rpm to high......

offcorse 2 very different cars ;)

You hit the nail on the head. The 12 v needs to get to 4000 revs to really get going. I found it a lazy engine up to that point then all he'll brakes loose. The 24v however picks up immediately from lower down the rev range due to that lovely low down torque and due to that it does feel a little flat through the whole rev range. The 12 v however sounds so much better.

Cheers Alan

Yea think that's the case of them - in the passat I kinda really don't know when I'm going fast before I'm there where the Corrado will tell me when to start "calming down" (due to "hell braking loose") - at least if I want to keep my license.....lol....;)

Kinda would have thought they where more alike when I got the passat - not that I'm disappointed with the 3.2 though....lol...;)

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Yea think that's the case of them - in the passat I kinda really don't know when I'm going fast before I'm there where the Corrado will tell me when to start "calming down" (due to "hell braking loose") - at least if I want to keep my license.....lol....;)

Kinda would have thought they where more alike when I got the passat - not that I'm disappointed with the 3.2 though....lol...;)

Why dont you swap the engines around and see how the Corrado feels with that 3.2 lump in it lol?

My 24v 2.8 Golf feels so much faster lower down. It just wants to go. But the feel is very linear and it suits the more laid back armchair feel of the car. Then I get in the Corrado and am usually disappointed with the power at the bottom of the band until 4k+ and "all hell breaks loose". Part of it is that sound. The 24v sounds nice but the 12v has a unique character and sounds more raw and has more induction noise. Love them both in different ways. The 24v is without doubt the better engine and more suited to modern driving. But the 12v is the one that makes me smile more when giving it beans.