fla

heated washer jet wire repair with pics

One of my washer jets' wires has broken as per the pic. I cant seem to be able to dismantle it - anyone effected a repair on one of these or is it a cheapo thing from the dealers?

Edited by fla

You can get them apart, but you need two bad ones to make a good, one connector always rots away, I bought one in about 1998 and it was 25 quid then, so I dread to think how much vw charge now, only other option is to use neat screen wash in the winter :)

thanks. How do you get them apart though? I've put some thin scredrivers down both long sides but it doesnt seem to loosen any plastic catches

I seem to remember them being glued together, I did manage to get them apart without totally destroying them though.

thanks rod are they the same as the late ones i have and how much would you want for the pair?

Managed to dismantle clean resolder and repair this. Will post some pics shortly, but as David said they're glued together, as well as having a locking 'lip' on the inside. Heat with a hairdryer for as long as you can hold it. Then use some jewellers screwdrivers down each of the longer sides.

Carrefully but firmly hold the washer nozzle and gently ease it out of the outer casing. On mine the connection had corrodes, but this was cleaned with emery cloth and the cable resoldered and supported with heat shrink. Be careful when removing the connectors that sit either side of the heater block as they can be easily damaged.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

using the hairdryer has the added advantage of rejuvenating the colour from a faded grey back to black! Also gives you a chance to polish the area where the nozzle sits.

• Like 1

On re-assembling, insert the metal nozzle spray into the feeder section first (the portion with the leads) rather than into the main body. this will make ressembly much easier.

When you dismantle the nozzle dont use too much force, just ease it out. There is a small disc about 4mm dia and 2mm thick that will fall out - dont lose this! it sits in a semi-circular recess in the connector housing arm. Unfortunately i didnt take a pic of this.

Also worth replacing the pvc tubing for the water. Took me quite a long time to do this as the pvc id was 1mm too small (B&Q tubing) and it struggled to fit the barbs, even with heat and washing up liquid.

freshens that part of the bay nicely.

Edited by fla