andy1973red

Roof Trims / Door locks - G60 1991

I'm new to the forum following my purchase of a 1991 G60 recent via this very Forum - I've been surfing for some time watching and viewing ebay/ autotrader etc..and took the plunge of selling my 'toy' Mk5 R32 to a mate and buying a teenage dream of a rado. Now I've got one - my aim is to enhance or restore (what ever your view point) and put her back to more or less how she was when she came out of the factory.

That leads me to what I'm asking help for - the roof trims, mine look great however on the side of the plastic trim itself in the channel, there is what appears to be a rubber trim that has perished and in part missing all the way along each of them, would anyone be able to advise what i can source to replace this? I have found reference to Butyl but i think thats an adhesive strip underneath the trims itself for securing?

Also - would anyone know if reproduction Golf MK2 barrels from locks can be used on the corrado handles - rather than me have to fiddle with the current sets? got 3 keys for my motor and want to stream line my key ring... LOL.

I'm sure i will have more questions along the line and look forward to bouncing off you chaps out there. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

Both questions can be answered using the search, but im here now so here goes:

The easiest/cheapest option is to cut away all of the perished parts, leaving a slimmer trim. There is no hole or anything to the car, so you don't have to worry about leaving anything exposed. replacement trim is discontinued, however I believe they may either now be available or be coming soon from classic parts.

Lock barrels: mk2 items should fit, passat mk3 defo will fit. Again, re-tumbling your current locks is the better and very cheap option.

Thank you for the welcome and your swift response!

I'll take your advice on the roof and trim the perished bits away, good news on the lock barrels too will consider the options - thanks again.

You can often get a pile of wafers and springs for the lock barrels if you ask your local VW place nicely while they're doing some other work ;)

The ignition barrel can't be retumbled (VW will happily sell you the 'correct' one for your VIN but at 50-odd quid!) so you should adjust the boot/door/glovebox locks to match the key you currently use in the ignition. All can be retumbled in the same way, though the method of getting at the lock barrel varies per location. It's pretty obvious once you get started though :)

Stone

Another option is to replace the door handles with the lockless rear ones from a similar vintage "B3" Passat. Like this clicky

I think you need to replace the striker arms too. Kit here clicky

A search of the Forum will turn up more info.