Scott G

Cracked windscreen :-(

I have a cracked windscreen, as you may have gathered. I'll have to sort it through my insurance. Just wondered if there are any things to look out for. Problem I have is that there are a few rusty bits around the egde of the windscreen that i'll need to sort out first. Never done owt like this before and I dunno whether i'll need to take the screen out first to get at the rusty bits and if so is there anything I need to be careful of. I can take the rubber off easy enough, but the trims on the side look well stuck in there and I dunno how to remove them. I assume the window fitter won't want to be doing any work on rusty bits so that's why I'm thinking i'll need to do it myself. As for treating the rusty bits. I can't see how bad they are until I get the rubber off, so i'm hoping I can just get away with grinding the rust away to the metal and putting some substance on it to protect it. If anyone can give some advice on all of this i'd be most gratefull. Also are there any window firms to look out for, I dunno who my insurance company use.

Phone your insurance company, tell them you would like a replacement screen, then choose a preffered fitters, speak to them and tell them you would like to get some rust sorted. They will come round and take the screen out, you then get the rust sorted, and then you phone them up to arrange the fitting of the new screen.

As above really , autoglass are the company that Tesco Insurance for me used, lucky enough for me the bloke that come to do the job had done a corrado in the past and managed to remove all the trim without breaking it . It took him about 3 hrs to do it . Good job tho well impressed ..

Ta guys. I've spoken to a bodyshop I know. They can sort the rust easy enough. Just a couple small patches. Will get the insurance onto the windscreen. They use Autoglass i've been told. If they won't come out and remove the screen and return to fit it, then the body shop can get it removed. Will sort it out by next weekend I hope. Just hope the cracks don't get too much worse before then. I'm taking it easy and avoiding potholes etc.