Roger Blassberg

Electric seat motors

I have electric Recaro seats; neither of them is working all of a sudden (either up/down or recline) so I assume that the problem lies with a fuse or a relay supplying power to all functions.

Anyone know which fuse or relay controls the circuit and where it is located?

Thanks

RB

I don't know off the top of my head but the loom for each seat is easy to follow up the the fuse board. The passenger side one is a pain though as it goes right up along the scuttle above the dash IIRC.

There are fuses on top of the fusebox for them. Mine suddenly blew a fuse and they all stopped working.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

I went armed with the Bentley manual, looking for fuse/control module marked as No 18 in the diagram. But to no avail. All I managed to do was discover a disgracefully unprofessional aftermarket alarm/immobiliser installation, wrapped in plastic insulation tape and with crimped connections which I have now tidied up.

But still no seat motor function. Hasan suggests that there are some relays behind the passenger side glovebox so I'll look in there, but it has the dealer-fitted aircon and I'm preparing for more untidyness.

Could the fuse be under the seat on the Recaros? It's not desperate as I am the only one who drives it but I am keen to sort it out.

Best wishes

RB

There are two looms for recaros:

1) The heated seat loom. This has relays.

2) The loom for the electric motor movement. There are no relays on this. It is just two wires; a live into the fuse board and an earth into a suitable earthing point.

The loom for the motor movement is incredibly simple. It is literally just a live (red I think) and an earth (brown I think). The live should have a yellow 20 amp fuse. If the seats were installed at the factory then the fuse is likely to be one of the fuses on the front of the fuse board. But if, like mine, it was installed at a later date then it might be an inline fuse on the actual wire itself which might be slightly harder to locate. You don't have to worry about relays for the movement loom as there are none.

So, things to check:

1) Follow the wires back to the fuse board.

2) Is there an inline fuse? Has this blown?

3) Has the live wire (likely to be red) come out of the back of the fuse board?

4) Has the earth wire (likely to be brown) come off the earthing point?

5) If all the above looks good then follow the wires back to the seats and check for any breaks.

I'm no electrician but as I've installed mine then if you're really stuck then I'm happy to take a quick look if you find yourself down in Surrey :)

Well I was finally brought out of hibernation by the weather this weekend, and took out the driver's seat and carpet to follow the wiring, looking for the problem.

Lo and behold, there was a break in the live feed, at a joint where it splits into two for each seat. This is under the carpet and had obviously got wet when the door membrane failed. The connector had totally rotted away, but fortunately the insulating loom tape had prevented the live feed shorting to earth.

Anyway, all is now repaired and we have adjustable seats again. I took the opportunity to clean the (beige) carpets and plastic trim items at the same time whilst the seat was out. Incidentally, it's no wonder that modern (??) cars are so so heavy; an electric Recaro driver's seat in not a lightweight item!!

Best wishes

RB