Jonjwt

are these pipes all correct

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68306[/ATTACH]I have just been trying to get some nice warm air blowing in my g plate valver, the matrix is not leaking so I disconected the pipes at the bulkhead and checked the flow through it, all ok.

the bypass valve seems to work ok.

It look that in the past the pipes have been replaced.

What I really want to know is which direction does the coolant flow and is the picture below in the right config.

cheers :scratch:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68307[/ATTACH]

They're in the right place/order but don't bet on them working properly. They look to have been replaced under recall by VW - originally both were metal. When I got my valver, I had the same problem. I ran a hose through my matrix and thought all was good, put copper pipe in to bypass the bypasses..........., and changed thermostat, seal and housing, and still didn't get warm air. Changed the matrix, and got nice toasty heaters. :cheers: I put the bypasses back in, but it didn't work again, so just left the copper pipe on there. They are obsolete from the dealer as well I believe, and as I used a genuine mk3 golf matrix to replace, I didn't really need em anyway.

Mmm that's not what I wanted to hear as I really can't be bothered changing he matrix, is there anyway of checking whether the flaps are moving as they should ?

You should be able to tell just by moving the panel switch. If there is resistance there, it should be fine. If you take off the lower dash parts in the footwells, you should be able to see mate.

the valves have arrows on them :lol: flow in from the head and out to the metal water pipe/pump, they do restrict the flow even when working properly

one plastic and one metal is the same as the 1996 recall fitment I had done, just remove them and replace the hose section, as long as water is flowing through your matrix then you'll be fine, early heater controls rarely break or jam, but it is possible a bowden cable has snapped off, not too difficult to remove the panel and check the warm air flap operation you can see the connections by removing the passenger footwell undertray and looking up behind the centre console

in theory the matrix should be replaced with a stronger later one if you are going to run it without the bypass valves but I wouldn't worry too much, I've ditched mine and the heater is so much better in the cold

Just a quick update I removed the bypass and replaced with 2 x 22mm lengths of copper pipe, once the thermostat cracked nice toasty air flowed into the car mmmm