Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

High mileage 16v's

I may be looking at a Raddo 1.8 16v which has done around 130K miles. A guy has offered me a 16v motor and gearbox that has doen about 90k miles so I may buy the car and keep the engine incase the other goes pop!!

What are the sort of things that will need to have been replaced with a 16v engine @ 130K miles?

Should the timing chain be replaced, what about valve stem seals, head rebuild etc.

Please post up your experiences both good and bad.

http://www.corradoclub.co.uk/buyingguide.html

Basically - Valve stems/Head Rebuild/Timing Chain yeah

Have a read of that link for the common things to look for. On the bright side though, if you get it cheap and fix these things it will be good a long time after. Although do expect to spend a fair whack on running gear stuff as well if not already done

No its not the one in Abz but tell me more? Price etc. Where is it advertised?

dont strictly know for sure if its for sale(its maybe getting fixed)......as i spotted it at a guy's house who buys,sells and fixes motors.......anyway its a bordeaux pearl metalic one with factory cloth recaro's in it.........it used to belong to a mate(who also happens to be Skid's neighbour)....anyway he sold it about 2 years ago with circa 110k on the clock tho with a very recent top-end rebuild......when i had a look by today it has now got a dent in the front pass.side wing and another dent on the bonnet but other than that is pretty clean

The 16v has a belt rather than timing chains as on the VR6 engines. At 130k you would expect the belt to have been changed at least once!

The 16v has a belt rather than timing chains as on the VR6 engines. At 130k you would expect the belt to have been changed at least once!

16Vs also have a chain between the 2 cams... this hardly ever gets changed and it's a good idea to put a new one in when you do a head re-build... 8)

A belt comes from the crank to the exhaust camshaft, then tbere is a chain under the rocker on the flywheel side connecting the inlet and outlet cam shafts.

These are reletively high reving motors, and although they are strong, could be a bit tired if they've led a busy life!!

I would sugggest having a comression test done, or else budget around £400-500 for a home rebuild. If you are getting two engines and gearboxes, then between the two, plus rebuild parts, you should have be able to build yourself a good strong engine!

Goodluck!

how could I take 3 minutes to type that??

Little wonder my dissertation aint going smoothly!!! (The very fact I spent 3 minutes typing that (and every other post in the last 3 weeks)is actually whats holding me back!!!)

Are the 16v's that much faster than a Mk2 8v?

I bought the Mk2 as a cheap daily driver but I am hankering after another Corrado. If the body has no rust at all and the engine seems good then I will probably buy it. Only thing that is putting me off is the fact I would have to buy the Raddo then sell the Mk2 plus I drive 200-250 miles a week. On past expierience selling is easier said then done.

Is it hard to rebuild a 16v head?

Is it hard to rebuild a 16v head?

the bits you can do yourself are easy on the head are fairly easy....sept getting the colletes off the valves can be a proper pain in hte arse...they've been quite happy there for around 12 years, and arn't too kean on changing therir ways! you will need oto get an engineering worshop to put new valve guides in, and they will re- seat the valves and make sure they are straight for you too....You should macke sure they know not to re-profile the valves too much, as they have a lithium core....for cooling apparently.

Its the bottom end thats a bit more of a bugger....mainly duy to the whole weight thing.......if you are doing this, I would keep a hold of the MK2 for a wee bit.......so your not rushed to do the work.

Some people like hte 8v better than the 16v, it depends on how u drive! But the 16v gti is faster than the 8v gti. 0-60 and top speed.

Surely u know someone with a 16v that would at least give u a run?

Andrew

I had a shot of my mates Mk2 16v with 135K miles and it didnt feel any faster than my 8v. Only choosing the 16v raddo as they are cheapest to buy/run.