Rocket Ron

VR Water Pump Seized

The water pump on my VR has failed and seized the other day had to be towed back by the AA Man. Belt was shredded and lots of smoke.

Have managed to remove it by removing the engine mounts and jacking the engine up. However have noticed some of the impeler blades have a few peices missing. Do you think this could cause problems have managed to give the system a good flush by removing the top and bottom hoses and had a good route about inside where the pump was.

Any info would be useful.

Have had a few quotes for a new one GSF ranges from £23 - £35. less with my discount

Euro Car Parts £27 - £41.

AVS Car Parts £32 + vat

VW Stealers £105 with a surcharge of £35 for returning pump = final figure about £63 ish could be less with my discount usualy 10%

whats the best one to go for

I'd go with the dealer one for not alot more mate. Could be that a piece of the impeller has snapped off and wedged itself in between itself and the casing, although I'm only speculating there. Does it still spin freely and with no end float now you've removed it?

Gotta be standard vag for me Ron, it's lasted this long mate so do it a favour for being good. :)

Hi mate, that VW price is wrong, must be for the electric pump although these are not exchange!

Part you need is 021121004X, VW rrp is £53 but the trade price is £33 (plus VAT / exchange)