Dr Forinor

A few things needed

I know this is not the correct forum to be posting these questions - should be in Drivetrain and Engines etc but I have a few questions and I want to keep them all together please.

I have been out of the "Corrado game" for a long time now, I didn't have great knowledge back then and what I did have, has gone from my brainbox.

The Corrado should be coming out of hibernation, soon I hope but I know I need a few things done before it will pass it's MOT, and some other things I'd rather get done due to the wear & tear and simply because I want them done. I will (eventually) be getting a Turbo on the car (the head has already been done with ARP bolts and a spacer, timing chains done too so fingers cross that side of things should be fine). With your suggestions, please keep in mind I want this car to be as comfortable as possible (it won't be a track car, but I will possibly want to track it now and then), whilst trying to keep the handling & performance as best as possible.

1) Need a new radiator - OEM? Are they still available? Anything else you recommend?

2) Hoses - I was thinking Samco? Have there been any new developments that surpass or equal Samco? Any other recommendations?

3) I know for a fact I need new suspension. Back when I used to frequent this place KW V3 was all the rage, is this still the case? If so, where is the best place to buy from? If not, what would you recommend? I basically want the best (not £5k best though before someone recommends something ridiculous). Along with the getting the suspension, what else? Front top mounts? Anything else?

The car has been tucked away since Jan 2011, anything you wonderful folk would recommend checking? Anything you would say just change, even without checking? Anything I may have missed?

Just keep in mind, my mechanical knowledge is very basic and simple....

Hi there,

The Hella Radiators come highly recommended, really good quality and fit, along with a good price... with regards to the hoses, its either Samco £££ though, or there was a recent group buy with Roose Motorsport who also have produced hoses at a cheaper price.

Hi there,

The Hella Radiators come highly recommended, really good quality and fit, along with a good price... with regards to the hoses, its either Samco £££ though, or there was a recent group buy with Roose Motorsport who also have produced hoses at a cheaper price.

Exactly what I was going to recommend :)

Suspension wise KW V1's are probably more than good enough... only go to V2's or V3's if you need the extra adjustability they bring :)

Also worth noting that last time I checked, there wasn't much price difference between v2's and v3's.

~ 750 for the V1s, ~ 1100 for the V2s and ~ 1300 for the V3s.

I don't think V1s would be suitable for our dear Dr :D And if that's all the difference there is between the 2s and 3s, I'd take the 3s every time. They are a lot more than the 2s plus a bit.

Yep, and V1s would irritate you. The V3s are the best riding coilovers I've ever tried in a VW, whilst still improving the handling / looks :D

Top mounts, that's about it I think. You want genuine VW all round, anything else is unlikely to last much beyond 18 months.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

As for where to get the v3's from...I've not seen them used before so you will likely have to buy new. Lots of places sell them but awesome-gti and venom are good places to get a baseline price from before shopping around.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Here's a summary for ya:

1) Need a new radiator - OEM? Are they still available? Anything else you recommend?

The Hella Radiators come highly recommended, really good quality and fit, along with a good price.

2) Hoses - I was thinking Samco? Have there been any new developments that surpass or equal Samco? Any other recommendations?

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?63545-Silicon-Hose-kits-for-VR6-from-Roose-Motorsport&highlight=roose

3) I know for a fact I need new suspension. Back when I used to frequent this place KW V3 was all the rage, is this still the case? If so, where is the best place to buy from? If not, what would you recommend? I basically want the best (not £5k best though before someone recommends something ridiculous). Along with the getting the suspension, what else? Front top mounts? Anything else?

Get v3's + new VW top mounts as above.

The car has been tucked away since Jan 2011, anything you wonderful folk would recommend checking? Anything you would say just change, even without checking? Anything I may have missed?

How basic do you want to get? Check all the fluids - oil, coolant, brake. Check the tyre pressures, check the brakes and handbrake work before hooning down the road and stick a fresh tank of 98 ron in.

18 months since it last ran, might need a new battery or just a charge, otherwise, you should be good to go!

Hehehe, I think someone wants me to by V2s.

emu: What have you got on the car now?

Yes I want you to buy them :) Currently have Koni top adjustable shocks and -40mm HR springs.

I'm going back to uni for 4 years and won't be able drive Corrado due to lack of cash so everything I have is for sale :(

KW was in my green VR6 which I've broken on parts, would love to keep it as it was best suspension I ever had but won't be able to afford it.

Long time no see Bro. Hows things up there North of the border? Still running the GTR, Wish Id have taken you up on your offer of a blast in it. Anyway good to see you still have the storm.

Long time no see Bro. Hows things up there North of the border? Still running the GTR, Wish Id have taken you up on your offer of a blast in it. Anyway good to see you still have the storm.

Sorry, you're gonna have to remind me, have we met, I don't recognise the username?

Edited by Dr Forinor