Critical_Mass

Number plate light seal - available?

Hi all,

Done a repair around the number plate lights - behind the detachable metal piece. The reason its started looks to be due to the seal between the body of the car and the light holder giving up and letting water in.

Is this part available or does the whole light unit have to be bought?

OR does anyone have the light unit FS and the seal being in good condition?

Thanks

Gareth

Am sure its all one thing, I got a new one waiting to be fitted after I sorted the rust out.

Got mine from the pat mcrotch group buy and got a feeling they went obselete or a heritage part.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

i wouldn't know.

I have got my old one, tried to remake the seal using some foam stuff i had. Then the new one came up for sale. Will get you a pic if it might be handy to you.

Tbh you could just make a seal, i could draw you a template in CAD

I made one for mine from sticky back foam. May try and reproduce some more if there's demand. So long as they're obsolete of course.

Found it at work. It was intended to make mouse mats. Had a couple of small pieces fit for the bin so thought I'd give it a go. No leaks so far (six months on) so can't have made it that bad.

I'd offer to make you one, but have just broken up for seven weeks of summer holiday.

Think you can get the material off ebay.

Have you tried vw heritage for a spare ?

Its ok James im happy to give crack myself - it wont that hard. Just need to find the right foam. Looks like it'll have to be rather thin.

I bought some thin foam from hobby craft a while back which are only 1mm in thickness to sort out any squeeks in the car not sure if that will be suitable.

Edited by VWVW