Bex00

Air mass meter....issues!

Hi, I'm sure someone's asked this before but anyway, can anyone give me some advice please on the problem I seem to have with my VR6.

It seems to happen most when I'm changing down gears, but the car will literally just cut out, no choking etc, just lights out all out!!

I've been told its the air mass meter and that I should just leave it be, but it's getting quite hairy changing down round corners and I loose all power!

Could possible be the MAF but just odd its doing it when changing down gears, presumably off the accelerator. Quick test for the MAF, get the car up to temperature (above 80 degrees) and unplug the MAF sensor, if its struggles or changes note or does something its fine, if it doesn't change at all its most likely your MAF but to be sure give it a vagcom before you go spending on new sensors.

Have you tried cleaning the ISV out? A good clean out with carb cleaner will help it!

mine was doing this exact same thing. I cleaned the ISV thoroughly and still it continued. turned out to be corrosion in the contacts on the jack plug for the MAF. Whenever I washed the car water was leaking in around the bonnet and running down the cable to the MAF jack plug.

Yeah Dave, that's like mine, I've been spraying a sealant on the connection for the last few months but this just temporarily sorts it.

What did you do?

---------- Post added at 7:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:37 PM ----------

Hi

Yeah its had many clean outs but the little bugger just keeps doing it!! It's my brat car! (gets whatever it wants) ;0)

Replace the plug and the MAF I guess is the only way forward? :|