Jamie

Cutting out on corners

Got a bit of a strange problem with the engine cutting out when cornering. Started on the way home from picking the car up - after a bit of spirited driving I went into a roundabout fairly quickly and as I was coming out the other side the car just died. After about 20 secs it started up straight away and was fine til I hit another fast corner when it coughed a few times but didn't actually cut out. The fuel gauge is showing 3/4 tank but I'm thinking maybe a faulty gauge (haven't got the cash just now to try and brim the tank) or perhaps the lift pump in the tank (I'm assuming they have one). Any ideas?

Cars a 93 VR6 btw

Is your battery or terminals loose, had mine doing similar and the clamp on terminal was loose

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Nope haven't checked the battery but will do tomorrow. Was convinced it would be a fuelling problem, never even crossed my mind it could be electrical :o

Could also be the infamous ignition switch, with the weight of the keys causing it to move just enough to think the ignition has been turned off. Is the key on a heavy bunch of keys? If so, try removing it and just putting the key in the ignition by itself and seeing if it still does it..

Battery terminals tight and single key as the ignition key - any other ideas chaps?

Have you tried filling the petrol tank to see if it still does it yet?

Does the car have the same problem when hitting bumps in the road or is it just hard cornering?

Is it left hand, right hand or both types of cornering?

As you have a 93 VR I guess its a distributor model not a coilpack type?

Yeah sorry must admit I haven't filled it right up yet. It seems to be hard rights that are doing it especially roundabouts. Yeah it's a dizzy not coil pack model. Cheers for the advice so far much appreciated :)

Aside from a fuel supply problem (which could be electrical) it could be the fuel pump relay, its a more a guess rather than anything else but as it is only happening under high lateral loading..

Quick update - brimmed it last night and it's stopped cutting out. Gauge was showing just over half and it took £50 so looks like the gauge is ok. Also double checked the battery terminals last night and although the bolts were tight, the terminals weren't tight on the posts. Fingers crossed :)

Edited by Jamie