robo22sri

What to do?

Guys I need to vent/ask for some advice

I stupidly sold my corrado for silly money because it had some issues that were stressing me out, so I got rid!

I then went and bought a mk3 golf gti that had been converted by stealth to a vr6 using a 2.9 odb1

The car has tons of receipts from stealth , g werks etc

The car has schimmel cams, schrick, hi spec 4 pots, wietec coilovers, front and rear arbs, front and rear strut braces, colour concept interior

well it turns out a car with so much info and money spent on it and its still a bloody lemon! its worse than my rado!

I sold a recon 2.9 and bits to fix the car to buy a bloody heap! :(

The golf has rotting sills that have been bodged! and holes in the floor :(

Edited by robo22sri

6efa448d.jpg

b986c7f3.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

the drivers side sill is damaged back 2ft! and there is a hole by the end of the door!

this is hiding under the gti plastic sills the floor has been jacked up and damaged!

I am so fed up! i am trying to save to buy a new house because i hate where we live!

I just want the ground to swallow me up because i have to break the news to my mrs that i have just wasted another thousand pounds of my money that should of gone on my savings to move

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

The brakes caused me a massive isse and i spent out £250 fixing them! then the rad hoses split so i spent £300 buying new hoses etc to replace all them :(

I feel like i am to far into back out!

Do i break the car and walk away? or just go further into the heap and find more wrongs!

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

The passenger side is kind of saveable, but the drivers side needs a whole new outer seal and the inner needs a full repair!

My mate is a welder and said he can save it but says there is a lot of work to repair it

I don't particularly advocate it buddy but it sounds like you're not financially able to rectify things ... why not put the plastic trim back on and try to sell it for what you can?

i am to honest mate, i couldnt do it to some one

Part of me thinks just get it fixed but where do you draw the line!

(The car has some bits on it that are worth money but no one is buying things because money is tight etc

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

I could easily afford to fix it but puts my house move even futher away!

My mate said it would take 2 weekends to repair that sill and fill the floor damage and i need to pay him for his time because he runs his welding company

It really is down to you, what spare cash you have, what you want to do longer term. I don't think anyone can advise you on a decision like this to be honest!

End of the day it's not like the brakes are shot or the head gasket has gone and you're trying to hide something serious that would hurt someone. As far as I can tell from that it's not even a structural problem.

As I say, I'm not recommending it, personally I'd fix it but there's no point rectifying bodywork to the detriment of your happiness or relationship.

Can you not sell on some of the more higher priced parts to pay for the repairs or cant you do the welding yourself and have a go at paint ??

I am trying to sell my schmidt ml splits to pay for the work to be done, i dont want to sell the schrick because they are rare enough and its the reason i bought the car

Would your mate, not help you out a little with the money side of things ? installments to make it a little easier or even do it your self under his guidance?

I'd suggest getting a list of all the urgent things that need doing and then getting a few quotes. Once you have those then you'll know whether it's worth continuing with this car. I would guess, though, that with a few tuning parts on it then it migh be worth more by breaking it.

Sorry I didn't come back on the Schrick advert previously but I've been away recently and also trying to decide what I'm doing with my other car (and therefore what funds I have).

Good luck and sorry to hear you're having a nightmare.

It's cool Adrian, I think if I re do the chassis properly then I might as well do other things and it turns into a money pit

I should be saving for my new house and moving forward not spending on a money pit :(

Well the way I see it is you have several choices:

1) Sell it and not mention the damage.

2) Price up the work to get it fixed and then either sell it fixed or not fixed after deciding which route will put you at the least financial loss.

3) Price up the work only for the essentials and get that done but be strict and don't do other work until the house is bought.

4) Break it.

I know from experience that a house is a money pit too. So if the house is the priority in your life right now then my advice would probably be to sell it or break it and get a cheap but reliable non-performance car of some kind (e.g. an old focus, etc, that would be cheap to fix if it breaks).

But it depends what you want of a car right now. If you really want a car to spend time and enthusiasm on then you may as well fix it and enjoy it. Otherwise put the house saving as the priority and offload the car in the best financial route possible (which will probably be to break it).

Adrian you talk sense, I just can't rip some one off by hiding the sills

To break would be the best way to get my money back but no one wants to pay what your asking :(

I have my Schmidt ml's for sale and people want to offer £200 less than my asking price

They are up for £680 with tyres on edition and people say oh will give you £500 max!

List the for's and against's, both in a monetary way and your love for the car or not.

Are you only going forward with it, due to its condition and feel you should ?

This is not a good enough reason. There are many bigger things to stress about, we all mess up at times, including in expensive ways.

It might be the right time, just to get out and sell, buy something that suits your situation for now with the longer term view of having a weekend car - maybe

I am really starting to hate the car! I loved it because it has the schrick and schimmel cams! I know the chain guides need doing on it and little bits of rust are coming through around the rear lights a little marks!

I just dont know what to do, I am not the best person for dealing with stress i just flip or get rid of it

I fell like i have let myself down by buying it and letting my partner down :(

Whats it worth in parts?, although a pain to go through all that, it might be the best way to recoup some money.

I'm not a fan of the golfs so me personnally wouldn't repair it, a corrado i would and have. If you put money and time into it and get it all sorted how long with you be happy with a mk3 golf for?

I wouldn't get too bogged down worrying about how you have spent your money, its spent now and thats what its for, am sure its not the end of the world just a bit of bad luck. You will get over it.

I was quite suprised you gave up on the corrado so quickly and bought an old golf instead.

If it's your only car, then you really have only two options...

1. Use it until it breaks and ignore all the rust

2. Break it.

It's not worth much as a whole - if the rust is as bad as you say it is then no-one is going to touch it unless they want to break it for the engine.

If you have somewhere to store it, then get yourself a really cheap runaround for now, and then break the car. Don't aim to get back top dollar on all the parts - not many people want to splash several hundred pounds on performance upgrades right now - but get back enough to cover your costs. Then if you want another Golf or Corrado, sell the runaround, and spend the money you got from that and breaking the Golf on something half decent, and put the rest towards your house.

Even if you still want to fix the Golf, I wouldn't spend another penny on it until you have had a good look over the whole car and underneath too, otherwise you're just throwing good money after bad. The fact the chains are rattling is ominous too.

The chains are ok, it's just the pad in one of the tensioners has split, I had visual inspection when re doing the timing

I think I will find more rot on the floor pan