scorrado123

VR6 Rear Beam anyone??

pretty sure all corrado rear beams are the same, so that should help widen your search :-)

Cheers but now im confused!

This was a reply I had from Destructive Dave yesterday on the subject....'VR6 beam differs slightly from the four cylinder engined cars. If you search for 'rear beam' and look through Jay Renshaw's build thread he has both beams side by side. The long and the short is that the VR beam is slightly wider (circa 15mm) but also has a beefier bush set up. Personally I would replace, if required, with a VR beam.'

I checked the post and the pics do show a slight difference...Confused !?!?!?

scorrado123,

You will need a VR rear beam, if that's what is actually needed. As I said on your other thread it is doubtful that your beam is so rusty it needs replacing unless it lived in the sea and then you would notice other bits falling off!!

If I were I would go back to your mechanic to understand his diagnosis and seek another opinion if required.

Dave

I don't know for certain but I would expect the VR beam to have a wider track to match the front plus axle components that were carried over from the Mk3 golf.

There is much confusion about rear beam track widths. There's an interesting thread on track widths on Mk2s and 3s etc over on Club Gti. Seems they can vary considerably both front and rear in the same models for no apparent reason.

Bear in mind the rear track of a FWD car should always be narrower than the front. Dangerous otherwise. Measure carefully...

I have a VR6 and a Mk3 GTi 16V rear beam, which are absolutely identical BTW, for sale at 45 quid each, if they're any use to you. One is polybushed and one has braided lines on (may be on the same beam) IIRC. Been in my garage about 4 years waiting for me to get around to it, which I'm clearly unlikely to. I'm about 45 mins from NW London up the A1(M) or poss M11 in Cambridge.

There is much confusion about rear beam track widths. There's an interesting thread on track widths on Mk2s and 3s etc over on Club Gti. Seems they can vary considerably both front and rear in the same models for no apparent reason.

Bear in mind the rear track of a FWD car should always be narrower than the front. Dangerous otherwise. Measure carefully...

I have a VR6 and a Mk3 GTi 16V rear beam, which are absolutely identical BTW, for sale at 45 quid each, if they're any use to you. One is polybushed and one has braided lines on (may be on the same beam) IIRC. Been in my garage about 4 years waiting for me to get around to it, which I'm clearly unlikely to. I'm about 45 mins from NW London up the A1(M) or poss M11 in Cambridge.

Thanks for the responses guys! PM on its way Anton.

Cheers but now im confused!

This was a reply I had from Destructive Dave yesterday on the subject....'VR6 beam differs slightly from the four cylinder engined cars. If you search for 'rear beam' and look through Jay Renshaw's build thread he has both beams side by side. The long and the short is that the VR beam is slightly wider (circa 15mm) but also has a beefier bush set up. Personally I would replace, if required, with a VR beam.'

I checked the post and the pics do show a slight difference...Confused !?!?!?

Don't be confused, just seems that I'm wrong :-) Glad someone else could clarify for you.

I have a vr6 rear beam thats been stripped. I'm traveling to twickenham on the 8th Sept too if your still looking?

Have you got any pics mate?

Cheers

Interesting... I never knew that.

Sorry mate, been away for a while and didnt get your email. ill try and get a picture taken tomorrow.But tbh there isnt much to see, its a stripped beam.

Ive been pants I know, I havent got a picture done but will try again tonight. Are you wanting it? If so Ill load it into the car as I'll be starting the journey tomorrow.