stuarttaylor37

1st time Corrado owner

Hi

I've lurked on the forum since 2011, I've owned a few Vw's in the past but am new to Corrado ownership. I looked for ages and uhm'd and ahh'd about vr6 or 16v but it had to be white, standard and with no crash damage. In the end I settled for this for £750 from Ebay-the seller wouldnt accept my winning bid so I had to haggle up!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200793820199?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It has a service history, 127,000 miles but quite a few issues, drivers seat broken, oil leak, blowing exhaust, dropped drivers door, small dent on rear arch and various small scabs of rust, rough idle,intermittent abs light problem, stiff heater controls, blower only working on setting four, drivers mirror adjustment not working, it struggles to do 20mpg, rear brakes dont work properly etc etc but the sunroof and spoiler work and I love it!

I'm hoping to restore it to something like its former glory

Cheers

Stuart

Welcome to the forum. I was in your position about 6moths ago-A 16v off Ebay for around £750 and 134K and a few issues. Its taken me a while to sort mine, (I had some of your problems). Some things will be straightforward, others take a little more time/effort/money than you expect. The general rule appears to be that unless you're lucky you'll end up spending £1000 sorting brakes, suspension, maybe wheels/exhaust/electrics. It surprising how quickly it adds up. Ive had lots of vws in the past so thought it would be easy-it wasnt all plain sailing

My biggest breakthrough was getting the fuel consumption from mid twenties to mid thirties: I achieved this by ditching the old/aftermarket lambda sensor and replacing it with the correct Bosch unit. ( £54 if you know where to buy it)

Best of luck-you'll get lots of help here!

I nearly bought this car off Jo, but I hate to say it, it was nowhere near as great as she was making out. I struck a deal with her for £650 but when I arranged to collect it she didnt get back to me! Im sure with abit of TLC it will be a great car though.

If you need any help let me know.

Rob.

Thanks for the welcome,tips and offers of help-I'm likely to need it because whilst I'm keen, I'm no mechanic.

dumptyboy, after a 130 mile trip I was a little disappointed with the car when I got there because as you say Jo's opinion on condition was a little "optimistic" to say the least. However I'd previously travelled further to view worse at a higher price and came to the conclusion that in this price range any of them are a collection of faults and a gamble. At least the issues seemed fairly honest, obvious and not too expensive to fix. It looked more neglected than messed with which was what I was after. I guess time will tell?

Thanks again for the offer of help:cheers:

Good on you for remaining optimistic. I think ive been really lucky with the Corrados ive bought recently. My VR6 cost me £310 and pretty much flew through its mot yesterday. But whenever you buy any car its a gamble on what work might be needed, we are not all mechanics and sometimes its fun to fix a car with faults, because it makes it your own and you feel proud to have given it another lease of life. :)