Sign in to follow this  
philO

1.8 16V transform to a 2.0 G6016V???

i fancy a project for the summer. I want a 2.0l G6016V, but not sure where to start. should i buy a G60, bore it out, (if it will take it) and replace the head with my current 16V head?

second idea- buy a 2.0l 16V, uprate it (where necessary) and fit the charger

or thirdly, stick with my current 1.8 16V, bore it out, uprate it and fit a charger.

Quite a puzzle? any ideas will be much apreciated. i like a challenge!

cheers

phil

If you're gonna do a 16VG60, start with either a PG or 1H block (G60 or Rallye) They have an improved coolant and oil pipeway system and will take the pressures a supercharger will throw at them...

The 1H block (as I've recently found out) is actually a stronger block than the standard PG block and has uprated head bolts, gearbox mounting bolts and oilways so would probably be the best block to use for a 16VG60... the only problem you'll have going this way is to actually squeeze a full 2.0 outta it (again as I've found out on my rebuild)... You can't do a straight overbore to get close to 2.0 as the cylinder walls would be so thin, they'd just crack as soon as you put any pressure in the cylinders.... :? To get a 2.0 you need to change the crank AND overbore slightly, however you then get into problems with the different crank not clearing the oil sprayers (which spray oil onto the bottom of the piston crowns to keep 'em cool) and a whole load of extra engineering work is needed... :|

Have a word with John (16VG60) about the options on doing this, and also Alex (aposegil) who has done some pretty major work to a 16V with an eye on super or turbo-ing it and is about to announce what he's done to it over the winter... 8)

I'm glad you like a challenge.... you're going the right way to get a good one! ;) 8)

Good luck, and keep us all posted on what you get up to with it... 8)

Surely the easiest thing would be to take a 2.0 16v and convert that? Low comp pistons and head gasket.

Is this block any good?

do the 2.0l 16v blocks come in 1H format or is it just the G60/rallye blocks. if not what would it take to uprate them? would it be possible to fit a Supercharger to a 2.0l 16v engine?

cheers

phil

I am doing this at the moment and have just acquired a 1H block :lol:

Very cheap!

they do come up!

You can go 2.0, but that means using a longer stroke crank as henny said.

The 9a block is that one, the 2.0 16v corrados and the passat 2.0 16v's use that.

With this you need a new set of pistons!

The yahoo gruop is very helpful for info on this, they seem to go 2.0 in the US and Canada a lot.

With the rallye or g60 block you can go to 1.9, so the question is do you really need the extra 100cc?

Depending on your setup the difference will be neglegable,

just my ramblings!

Good luck with it!

You can go to 1940cc with a crank change which is only 11cc less than being classified as a 2litre... ;)

Have a word with 16VG60 about this as that's who built my block for me.... 8)