phil.roberts1965

Hmmmm... wheres my water going??

Newbie and technical idiot here.

Had the car a couple of weeks and a flashing dashlight informed me that the water level was running low (engine). Thought nothing of it and topped it up. 2 days later, hey presto, same issue. Nothing obviously leaking when I look and no puddles under the car in the morning.

Any thoughts people?

Thanks.

Could be escaping as steam, from almost anywhere but check pressure cap first Or the head gasket may be letting water into the cylinders or the oil system. If you have wet carpets in the front, then it's the heater matrix

Best wishes

RB

do you have red/purple coolant additive (G12+ etc) this leaves a nice easily identifiable red crust as water dries where it leaks, you don't say which engine but generally look at all the hose joins for residue and the radiator seams.

The heater matrix is just a mini radiator too, but unfortunately you can't visually inspect it without removing the whole air distribution unit from behind the dash, so look for any signs of damp on the carpets under the dash or smells of coolant insode the car, windows will start to mist up too.

do you have any 'mayo' on the dipstick? if water is leaking from the headgasket into the oil chambers or from holes inside the oil/water cooler then you'll get creamy emulsified oil in the sump eventually, more than just the tiny amounts you sometimes get under the oil filler cap.

water leaking from the HG into the cylinders will eventually appear as white smoke, or rather water vapour, from the exhaust, but that's only when it gets really bad.

Also check around the base and sides of the header tank, sometimes the seal on the cap can fail and water escapes from the tank overflow.

Edited by davidwort

I've just had the same issue, the water pump had gone and was leaking at that point. You won't notice it unless you check after a drive. Look for water dropping just in front of the driver side wheel. If this doesn't work, I have known the top up tank leaking at the bottom where the pipe joins.

Had the same problem on mine.

Try cleaning the header tank sensor. Bridge the 2 pins with a piece of wire to see if the light goes out. If light goes out you're low on water or the sensor in header tank has crap all over it. Clean the sensor with ISO or brake / clutch cleaner (the stuff evaporates almost immediately so good for electrical). A soft wire brush helps.

What engine is it?

Had the same problem on mine.

Try cleaning the header tank sensor. Bridge the 2 pins with a piece of wire to see if the light goes out. If light goes out you're low on water or the sensor in header tank has crap all over it. Clean the sensor with ISO or brake / clutch cleaner (the stuff evaporates almost immediately so good for electrical). A soft wire brush helps.

What engine is it?

1.8 16v - its not the sensor though as thats clearly working - water is escaping from somewhere just not obvious where. Oil on dipstick is clear. No obvious damp carpets so unless I find a leaking hose, Im guessing Im looking at Head Gasket?? Any ideas on pricing people?

Thanks for responses!

There is a plastic flange on the side of the head that connects the hose for the heater. This can bow slightly at the flange or develop a hairline crack alonf the mould seam as they get old. I had this nd it's difficult to find as the water evaporates almost immediately against the warm engine. You might get s small puddle forming in the recesses of the gearbox casting just below the flange if the leak is bad enough.

you can get a gasket set and headbolts for the 1.8 for about 30 quid, the rest is labour (+ coolant) you're probably looking at 3 hours labour, you might need new nuts for the manifold to downpipe (my preferred method for removing the head rather than attempting to remove exhaust manifold from the head)

This is assuming the head hasn't warped, but what is more likely is what I've just had on the 8v, and the HG has just rotted away over the years enough to cause a minor water leak

It's not a massively difficult job to do at home and the head can be lifted off the block by one person, but you would need a jack and stands to get under the car to remove the manifold from the downpipe, long extension bars for sockets, and a spline bit and torque wrench for the headbolts.

If you pay a garage it could cost anything from 200-600 quid depending on what needs to be done and the hourly rate.

but like the guys have said, go over all the other cheaper to fix things first, wullie is right, the plastic water pipe flanges to the head are notorious for leaking when old.

Edited by davidwort

God looking at the threads for sorting the heater matrix, theres no way on this earth I could do this without making an allmighty b*llsup. Hoping I find a small leak elsewhere in the hosing. If not, is there anyone local who could do this with me as a spanner monkey?