Jim Bowen

24v Baffled sump and fly wheel guard

Trying to fit my 24v baffled sump from the group buy and it interferes with the little guard on gearbox side.

Am i meant to remove the guard? surely crap will get in the flywheel/clutch area as i took it off and it leaves a gap

Took the little cover out the way and sump fitted, but am left with holes, where i can put my finger in and touch the flywheel?

2012-08-17181849.jpg

2012-08-17181839.jpg

Any ideas? Might put the old one back on

Yeah I am not too sure about it, if I went through some deep water, surely water would get in.

Might cut a plate to cover the hole and sandwich it between sump and gearbox.

Also whats the plastic plug for in the second photo. Do I remove that or leave it on?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Did you change your dip stick when you fitted the sump ? If so have you got a part number for the replacement dip stick/ tube

I don't think i'd be overly happy leaving the holes open like that could you fill them with liquid metal or similar?

good idea that,

Yeah I am not too sure about it, if I went through some deep water, surely water would get in.

Also whats the plastic plug for in the second photo. Do I remove that or leave it on?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

even if you went through water it wouldnt do anyharm and it would just drain straight out,

yea my sump has that plug too, not quite sure what that plugs for , possibly something to do with the casting process which leaves a hole?

Honestly, if it were problematic for those holes to be there VW wouldn't have designed it that way, the flywheel is there exposed like that on all the 24v Golfs etc. Any miniscule amount of water that gets in there will be chucked straight off a flywheel spinning at over 800rpm and any that stays in a baking hot bell housing will evaporate in seconds. There must be a reason for the holes they are not meant to be covered.

Did you change your dip stick when you fitted the sump ? If so have you got a part number for the replacement dip stick/ tube

Miles, no need for a new dipstick with the 2.8 24v sump you dipstick! Ps must meet up at some pointh mate...

Don't worry about it, the old guard is also an inspection plate but it's really only there to stop you putting your hand in it.

The new holes provide access for a hex bit adaptor on an extension bar.

If you fill the holes you'll never get the sump off with out removing the gearbox.

Saw a pic of a guy who had fitted a 12v sump to a 24v golf and it looked like the golf had bits that fill those holes.

---------- Post added at 4:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:09 PM ----------

3eb889b8.jpg