Portent

Just test drove a mk5 Golf GTI Pirelli (and why do other people not look after cars)

I test drove a mk5 GTI Pirelli edition today and I must say I quite liked it as a possible replacement for the 4Mo. I've looked at a few mk5's recently and while it probably will be the car I get (if I change), they didn't feel in any way special. However the Pirelli was very nice indeed and I'm quite tempted. Does anyone have experience of the Pirelli and does it justify the extra cost over an Edition 30? It seems priced around £1k higher. The only differences between the models appears to be different wheels and unique tyre tread pattern seats (and a limited run of about 222 cars I think).

Not sure if I'm going to change cars as the trade in for the 4Mo is laughable and driving back home it still felt fantastic.

Unfortunately the car seems a little unloved with a myriad of scratches, a hole in the seat bolster, kerbed alloys (which the dealer has just refurbed) and three different tyres on the 4 alloys. The dealer said he could get the scratches and bolster fixed so it would be almost invisible. But will the scratches come back in a year of two?

I'm shocked at how poorly people treat their cars. This was a 4 year old 26k mile car. And it's not unusual. Several that I've looked at are in similar condition. My 2003 4Mo is in far better cosmetic condition. Why do people treat such an expensive purchase so badly?

The Pirelli is the same car as the ED30 apart from interior trim on the seats and different wheels.

Same engine etc with the KO4 turbo better tuning potential over the standard GTI

Don`t know what it is about the MK5 maybe thin paint as mine is the same.

Particularly in black shows up every little mark scratch and swirl.

Thats probably why most owners are on Detailing World too !!

Great cars to drive and will leave an old Corrado for dead!!!!

Yeah but I like the tyre tread seats :)

such a shame they're not p zero nero tread pattern. everyone knows this is the best pattern in the world. ever. fact.

Portent - you're totally right about people not caring about cars any more. I think the problem is that the majority of these sorts of cars are now all done on hire purchase / finance schemes where the person never really owns the car anyway. They know that they'll run it for 2 or 3 years and just hand it back so it makes absolutely no difference to them whether they baby it, or treat it like crap!

Regarding performance of the car - be interested to know the stats compared to a normal GTI. I always assumed they'd walk over the VR because of the higher level of torque but I was out for a spin in the VR last week and turned onto a bit of dual carriageway with a fairly clean / cared for looking MK5 GTI behind me. The turn was a sharp 90 degree and I whipped round it and looked into my rear view mirror to see him being caught somewhat offguard and understeering across into the second lane. We both nailed it and I started to walk away from him and carried on pulling away.. much to my surprise. Yes mine does have the SP263 cams and a remap which will help a lot but.. :)

Ah but an edition30 or in this case pirelli edition should slowly walk away. Remap that and a charged VR won't stand a chance.

Yep the E30 and Pirelli have a slightly different engine to standard GTI's. I've heard it's a detuned version of the S3 engine and good for 300bhp with a simple remap. It was good to test drive them though and they felt much more urgent and sporty than my 4Mo. IU've never tried them before and they certainly felt like a GTI rather than a cruiser. They reminded me of my old mk2 16v in character. But it didn't feel significantly faster than either my 4mo or VR. I'm absolutely sure it is but it didn't feel it, probably because it is much more modern.

I do like them and will probably get one at some point. I'm just not sure if this Pirelli is the right one though as it felt unloved. If the condition was better then I probably would go for it. And if I don't find something in the next couple of weeks then I'll simply be keeping the 4mo for another year due to the service and a few other items that I'm going to get done.

The trade in value of the 4mo was, as I expected, **** poor :) It's basically worthless despite being in significantly better condition than anything I've see over the last few days :D

I dont see why the Pirelli is worth more, only pay extra if you think you will get this back if you sell. The wheels look cheaper than the Ed30's and the ED30's seats are again nicer IMO. Standard Mk5 is a good car, probably just a bit quicker a-b than a VR. Ed30 is the wise choice, only issue for me is that they dont come in any of the blue colours, the Mk5 looks best in blue.

ED30 engine has quite a few differences compared to standard GTi engine, all for the better.

I would stay well clear of the Pirelli, you said yourself..... Unfortunately the car seems a little unloved with a myriad of scratches, a hole in the seat bolster, kerbed alloys (which the dealer has just refurbed) and three different tyres on the 4 alloys. The dealer said he could get the scratches and bolster fixed so it would be almost invisible. But will the scratches come back in a year of two?

Its also probably been totally thrashed if the cosmetic appearance is anything to go by, you could pick up a nice MK5 R32 for probably less money

why was the value of the 4mo so poor?

Because it's a 9 year old mk4 Golf that's heavy on petrol :) They offered £2k for it which probably isn't too bad considering those factors. I think I'll get the next service etc done on it and then look to sell privately at some point... if I sell.

I would stay well clear of the Pirelli, you said yourself..... Unfortunately the car seems a little unloved with a myriad of scratches, a hole in the seat bolster, kerbed alloys (which the dealer has just refurbed) and three different tyres on the 4 alloys. The dealer said he could get the scratches and bolster fixed so it would be almost invisible. But will the scratches come back in a year of two?

Its also probably been totally thrashed if the cosmetic appearance is anything to go by, you could pick up a nice MK5 R32 for probably less money

I'm tempted by a mk5 R32 and they seem to be in better overall condition than the GTI's. They have a feel about them that I'm sure will make them a classic in the future. But I'd simply be moving from one car with high running costs to another with high running costs. For example the tax is nearly £500 a year and the petrol is even worse than my 4Mo :) I do absolutely love them though.

I dont see why the Pirelli is worth more, only pay extra if you think you will get this back if you sell. The wheels look cheaper than the Ed30's and the ED30's seats are again nicer IMO. Standard Mk5 is a good car, probably just a bit quicker a-b than a VR. Ed30 is the wise choice, only issue for me is that they dont come in any of the blue colours, the Mk5 looks best in blue.

ED30 engine has quite a few differences compared to standard GTi engine, all for the better.

I'm not mad on the E30 seats as they look a bit garish. The Pirelli seats might sound horrible with the tyre tread on them but I like the black microfibre centres which are visually more subtle agains the rest of the black interior. I think, if I do change then it would have to be an E30 or Pirelli simply because of the uprated suspension and engine.

The Pirtelli is likely to hold its money better. With only 222 cars imported to the country it's a little like Storms holding their money better.

A few here>>http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=692&dist=10&pc=&min=&max=&y1=&y2=&txt=pirelli&px=&filter=TP&o=p&Submit=Search which you've probably seen, at £15k, that's top R32 money, I think a lot of the 32s are used as weekend cars due to the fuel/running costs, therefore tend to be more looked after, whats the tax on the Pirelli per year?

Regarding performance of the car - be interested to know the stats compared to a normal GTI. I always assumed they'd walk over the VR because of the higher level of torque but I was out for a spin in the VR last week and turned onto a bit of dual carriageway with a fairly clean / cared for looking MK5 GTI behind me. The turn was a sharp 90 degree and I whipped round it and looked into my rear view mirror to see him being caught somewhat offguard and understeering across into the second lane. We both nailed it and I started to walk away from him and carried on pulling away.. much to my surprise. Yes mine does have the SP263 cams and a remap which will help a lot but.. :)

:lol:

Must have been worn front tyres or lack of driver skill, or both! MK5s do need a Quaife diff though. In fact, Evo's long term GTI had one fitted and it was a different car apparently.

MK5 R32s and GTIs feel quicker than a Corrado because of their low down torque and shorter gearing, but in reality they aren't when it's a pedal-to-the-metal drag race. A standard Corrado VR6 can defo keep with a MK5 R32 (I've done it, Pat McCrotch has done it, et al) and they have a slight edge on GTIs.

As Coullstar said though, the MK5 would easier to drive on a B road. Less twitchy and the torque is more accessible more of the time, but someone rowing the Corrado's gearbox would probably keep up with it.

A few here>>http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=692&dist=10&pc=&min=&max=&y1=&y2=&txt=pirelli&px=&filter=TP&o=p&Submit=Search which you've probably seen, at £15k, that's top R32 money, I think a lot of the 32s are used as weekend cars due to the fuel/running costs, therefore tend to be more looked after, whats the tax on the Pirelli per year?

Thanks, have been keeping an eye on PH and AT. The black one is the car I saw and that I'm referring to. Although he's come down on price after initial haggling. The silver 5 door looks interesting (although my wife doesn't want silver - I think it looks great and might try to see it).

Tax bands:

Corrado: £215 :D

Mk5 GTI: £250

4Mo: £270

Mk5 R32: £475 (ouch!)

I dearly love the R32. But fuel costs and tax are just too high. I do think that R32's are destined to become true classics though. In reality I think I'm likely to keep the 4mo another year and keep an eye out for an E30.

Edited by Portent

123d to add to the mix. Handling on the 1 series is sublime, there less common than the poncy Audi's and they have a decent amount of room. Plus RWD = fun as Im finding out.

Another good shout, thanks. But my wife is set on a Golf and the 123d's are above my budget. Also I'm quite nervous of the reliability of modern high tech diesels with DPF etc.

EDIT: Actually looks like they are in budget. Need a 5 door though. Unless I p/x the kids too :)

Edited by Portent

Didn't realise that. Will take a look, thanks.

I've just spent an hour browsing R32s as they are cheaper than an ED30. Must resist lol :)

bare in mind that the 1 series are on run flat tyres and they are quite expensive especially on the M sport tyre sizes.

If going for 1 series diesel go for engine size 12Od or higher with M kit styling anything lower engine will be lacking in performance. On the very early 1 series diesel it does not come with diesel particular filter as standard. it was an additional cost option. later ones came as standard. Use to have one without the diesel particular filter and when you gave it some juice it would pump out plumes of black smoke. I hated that :) I am on the current F20 120D M sport and its a great all rounder.

Thanks. I'm ruling out diesels and I think the 1 series is too small in the back. I'll be getting a mk5 Golf of either the GTI variety or an unlikely outside choice will be an early R32. However I suspect it won't happen for a while now as I've booked the 4mo in for its 60k service, MOT, etc (suspect it may need rear suspension bushes doing too). So once I've unloaded my wallet on that then I won't be in a rush to change.

Interesting 130 v R32 comparison here (albeit the 130i instead of the 130d):

[video=youtube_share;MXyD1SGaiiE]