Portent

Just test drove a mk5 Golf GTI Pirelli (and why do other people not look after cars)

Cant see it but if thats the Topgear one I would take it with a pinch of salt. The rear room is fine and so it the boot on the Beemer, they just feel smaller when you sit in it. Ive had a Mk5 Gti as well and done fine the beemer any less practical at all. R32's are nice, but for the MPG and running costs I dont think they are worth it. Hell I get the same as or better mpg in my RS4 and its a hell of a lot more practical!! If your happy with the R32 mpg I would take a look at B6/B7 S4's as well then. Very practical, well specced and awsome V8 sound. Had one of them as well and it was great.

R32....I rest my case :smug: Also from a safety point for your wife and kids, a sprinkle of snow or ice and that BMW if not in confident hands will be all over the road, whereas the R32s AWD is what she's used to in the 4mo

A teaser>>http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201232481136146/sort/default/usedcars/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/price-to/15000/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/price-from/10000/quantity-of-doors/5/model/golf/make/volkswagen/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1500/page/1/postcode/ky168rz?logcode=p

Edited by BILLCOR

I saw that last night and was trying to resist it as we really are looking for something with a little better fuel consumption.

However...

Mileage - stunning if accurate (and I just called them to confirm... apparently it is).

Doors - 5 so perfect

Transmission - no real preference but manual is fine

VED - March 10th so it's only £270 a year :)

Location - 8 miles away from me :)

Hmmm. It does tick all the boxes except petrol consumption :)

Thanks. I might at least pop down there later as I'm working from home today.

I saw that last night and was trying to resist it as we really are looking for something with a little better fuel consumption.

However...

Mileage - stunning if accurate (and I just called them to confirm... apparently it is).

Doors - 5 so perfect

Transmission - no real preference but manual is fine

VED - March 10th so it's only £270 a year :)

Location - 8 miles away from me :)

Hmmm. It does tick all the boxes except petrol consumption :)

Thanks. I might at least pop down there later as I'm working from home today.

Snow and ice aside, thats a slippery slope :lol:

I'd get an R32 too. The power delivery and noise are worth it alone. Screw the mpg. You can't be into performance cars and make that a primary concern, otherwise just by a diesel. It's like having a love of cream cakes then complaining about the calories.

GTIs are very good cars but they're everywhere and many of them have a high thirst for oil. It's a well documented problem. The TFSI engine is also not as economical as claimed when driven hard either.

People always say the R32 is slow for it's power but so is the Corrado. There are some silly rapid Corrados out there, as well as some silly rapid R32s, but one thing is true of both cars: The base cars and their respective characters p1ss all over the lesser 4 pots, imo :D The R32 will be a classic. The GTI won't be.

My wife is thinking with her head and a GTI just makes sense. I loved the sporty feel of the Pirelli edition when I tested it but I also loved the more relaxed cruise back home in the 4mo.

What's turning me on to the R32 is the fact that VW are unlikely ever to make a V6 Golf again in the future so I can see it becoming a classic. It has that crucial element that the Corrado never had... like the Corrado they are great cars and one-offs but unlike the Corrado people know about them and I think that may hold it in good stead in the future.

I love the MK5 GTI. It feels lighter in it's sneakers than the R32 and is very agile and proper point and squirt fun! But for me at least, it just lacked something. Absolutely none of that Corrado 'magic' that captivates all who own one. Maybe it's just because it's such a competent, well rounded car and you don't have to work it for your rewards.

The R32 is just an entirely different beast. It has a solid, planted feel that only 4WD can give you and has a very reassuringly hefty feel to it, a bit like a BMW. Women like the feeling of strong cars in my experience (protection for the kids etc), so keep your missus away from R32s ;) It also has an excellent chassis, which whilst sprung a little too softly for some tastes, is still capable. And the brakes, oh the brakes.... :D It's just everything about it. Totally different. Try one and you'll see, but leave your wallet at home!

My Mrs has an R32 and loves it - she's kept it longer than most cars which is proof. That black one in Autotrader is suspiciously good value!

I had a spare hour after I'd finished work so I went and had a very brief look. They were just closing so I didn't get more than a cursory look and certainly not a drive. But it does seem an interesting prospect.

Negative Points

It doesn't seem to have many options; no sat nav and it's manual rather than DSG. No sunroof (if it had a sunroof then I would have bitten their arms off).

It seems in overall better condition than the Pirelli I saw. As expected it does have a few marks on the body but most look superficial. There is a scuff mark on the drivers side front bumper which would need addressing with paint and is obviously a parking scrape. This isn't surprising because the low mileage is due to the car being based in London so I assume street parking.

There is slight wear to the drivers seat bolster. I'm surprised at the wear with such low mileage but I'm sure a quick Furniture Clinic repair kit would fix it.

Low mileage can be just as bad a high mileage and this was on the longlife service so probably not the best servicing in the world.

Good Points

It does appear to be genuine mileage based on the general condition of the car (apart from the drivers bolster).

There is no significant damage anywhere.

While it has two owners it was a mother and her son or daughter so it has only been in one family (I generally take this as a good sign).

Good tyres (not three different makes of ditch finders!).

Overall

It does seem a good car (subject to a drive). I'm yet to decide on whether I'm going to change mine or not, and whether a GTI or R32 is the right one. But despite being a little dirty it looked in good condition and the mileage (and lower VED) can't be sniffed at.

I'm not sure if it is particularly cheap but it's not expensive. Private sales prices are lower and this, while from a dealer, is not a VAG approved car. So it's simply a 6 month Autogard 'warranty' (which can be extended).

This will take me a while... the Corrado took me a year!

Question 1: Is it really enough of an upgrade from my mk4 4Motion for the extra money I'd have to put down... not rteally sure on that.

Question 2: Which is likely to hold its value more in the long term? A mk5 R32 or a mk5 GTI Edition 30/Pirelli?

---------- Post added at 7:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:39 PM ----------

And now the pirelli dealer has phoned me offering 4 new tyres. This is getting fun :D

Edited by Portent

The bolster wear comes from getting in and out as you will know, although its low mileage, being around London probably means a lot of short journeys, stopping/starting - in and out

Q 1: I think its a very nice upgrade and better puting the money into something newer, rather than firing cash into the 4mo only to get none of it back.

Q 2: Swings and roundabouts, they will all lose money, but I think the 32 has lost the biggest amount already, therefore less to lose.