dghodges

Ignition switch or something else?

Thought I'd have a productive hour while the kids were having their nap... Tried to wire the heated seat loom into the fusebox. After dropping the fusebox down I can't get the car to start. It will crank but won't fire...Should have left well alone I think!

I have checked the fuel pump relay, which is not closing. I have bypassed the relay and can hear the pump working but still car won't start.

I have then checked the ecu relay, it comes on when the key is in the 1st position but goes off when the key is turned to position 2. This doesn't seem right to me. Should the ecu relay remain on? Is it only the ignition switch that turns the ecu relay on and off?

Should you see the tacho move when cranking the engine? I wasn't, but that could be to do with the ecu not getting power.

Any advice most welcome.

Cheers,

Dave

P.S. Its a K-reg VR

K reg... Thats 93?? it must be something to do with the relay box... Make shure all the plugs are connected... Theres a few small single plugs in that area.

Yeah 93 with coilpack. I was trying to start with the basics. Fuel pump relay doesn't get energized, so thought I'd check the ecu is getting power. Can you confirm which is the ecu relay? is it 109 in position 3?. I've been checking relay 18 which I now think is the wrong one and should indeed turn back off to cut additional loads while starting.

There are a few single connectors not located. Not sure if they have popped out or were never connected. Some of the wiring is a bit tight so struggling to get to the back of the fuse/relay box.

Finally sorted, problem was staring me right in the face, well not quite, especially when its dark... The 2 main engine wiring harness plugs had come out, hence the ecu relay wasn't getting triggered. Not sure how I missed them but all became clear with a torch in my mouth while routing around.

Learnt quite a bit about how it all works in the process...In answer to my original query it is actually the ecu that enables the ecu relay, obviously the ecu needs to have power to do this. I also now know how to read the wiring diagrams properly.

All in all a frustrating but worthwhile experience. Last but not least I now have heated seats which should be nice come the winter months.