ausgolfer

G60 to VR6

Hi all,

Have a 92 G60. Really want a VR6 but they're non existent in Aus.....

Willing to do a conversion, but seeing as there's no corrado VR6's as donor cars here I could....

A. Spend a lot to import a whole car or a whole bunch of parts from a Corrado VR6 to do the conversion. (not legal to simply import and register a VR6, it needs to be as a "race car only", or literally cut in half)

B. Buy a Golf 3 VR6(relatively cheap and importantly available), use that for conversion...yes I know it'd only be a 2.8 but could always upgrade that later. At least I'd have similar hubs/driveshafts/suspension arms as a VR6 Corrado.

C. Buy a Bora Sport 24v.....more expensive....use that for conversion (probably doesn't have the same VR6 intake roar I want).

D. Other?

cheers. Share your thoughts and oppinions.

Read to the bottom please, have a follow up query regarding VR6 passat bits. :)

Edited by ausgolfer

Sounds to me like b would be your best bet. If you import a 2.9 manifold and put some cams in the 2.8 golf you'll find there is little difference between the two anyway.

where is aus? austria?

There are tons of VR6es in Germany and Austria, my money's on Australia ;)

If you get an ODB2 Golf it'll be much more efficient than the 2.9 anyway, and the better engine management means they can run with more ignition advance so it'll still be quick!

Definately going with Australia.

Id say B also, its the easiest and cheapest way to go and its more or less the same as the 2.9 and you have OBDII. Is a Corrado really worth the money and hassle to import when it would have to be a "race car" or damaged beyond repair. I know you'd only want the engine and drive train, but to go to all the effort and money for a broken car isnt something id recommend.

My vote is B. :D

As a follow up query. Would a passat VR6 be a slightly better donor than a golf VR? Roughly the same value here though the passats are rarer.

Old one, but a bump as an OBD2 96 passat VR6 has popped up in my area cheap.....

Would the control arms and rear beam of a passat VR6 be an ok fit Vs std VR6 golf 3 parts?

Edited by ausgolfer

Old one, but a bump as an OBD2 96 passat VR6 has popped up in my area cheap.....

Would the control arms and rear beam of a passat VR6 be an ok fit Vs std VR6 golf 3 parts?

Front end parts will be fine.

For the rear, I'm going to say yes although I have seen posts somewhere where it lists all the different rear beam part numbers and possibly any subtle differences so could be worth checking for this (may be on ClubGTI forum). However if there are issues with the rear beam fitting, then you can just change the rear hubs to 5 stud on the beam you already have.