dragon green

Potential ban on car modifying NOW WITH PETITION

There seems to be conflicting information as to how soon this could be come law, and whether the UK government could over-rule any of it or not. I don't think you should assume it won't happen for a while, or that it won't be as bad as some people are saying - hopefully not, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The dft feedback form (link taken from the ACE forum) summarises some of the points. Apart from the modification point, it mentions vehicles older than 30 years and unmodified being exempt from testing. Why do that? Can old vehicles not be dangerous?

Also, "where a vehicle has dangerous defects discovered at test, that the vehicle shall not be used on public roads and the registration of the vehicle must be withdrawn until the defects are rectified." - not sure what it means with regard to registration - but would that still allow driving to and from an MOT centre, or not at all?

Then there's another money making bit - "when major or dangerous deficiencies have been found following a more detailed roadside inspection, Member States may require the payment of a fee."

I understand there are some benefits in the proposals, and testing caravans and trailers is no bad thing - albeit more expense and hassle - and testing brake fluid seems an obvious thing to do.

However, in general and as usual, this just seems to make things harder and more expensive for law abiding people - it won't stop unroadworthy, uninsured cars.