Supercharged Will

NEW Steering rack

Ok, so my steering rack is on it's way out again! Where is the best place to get hold of a steering rack? Also are there any upgrades and does the G60 have a different rack to a VR?

I know Stealers is out of the question due to stupid price!

I've got through a couple of racks in my time.... stay well clear of GSF racks... I had them and they lasted about 9 months before it needed replacing... ended up biting the bullet and getting one from the dealers... never looked back!

D&G autotech used "power racks direct" when mine needed replacing, they send you a refurbished rack then when you've fitted it you send your old one back.

Its been great since its been put on

http://www.powerracksdirect.co.uk/faqs.html#7

EDIT they only deliver/source to garages based in the UK so maybe if you are friendly with a local garage they might be able to order you one in

Edited by Jon_vr6

I've got through a couple of racks in my time.... stay well clear of GSF racks... I had them and they lasted about 9 months before it needed replacing... ended up biting the bullet and getting one from the dealers... never looked back!

How much did you pay?

D&G autotech used "power racks direct" when mine needed replacing, they send you a refurbished rack then when you've fitted it you send your old one back.

Its been great since its been put on

Again how much did you pay?

The recon rack was £190 excluding fitting, as said above though that company only deal with garages based in the UK, they dont deal with the the general public which i only just realised

That's fine as I can't do the work, don't have time nor the correct space to do it. £190 seems ok.

Is it worth upgrading anything?

Cool, D&G said they had used them a few times and they were great for the price, price may have gone up slightly since because that was a couple of years back when i had the work done.

No worries, as for upgrades i had a hell of a lot of work done (for peace of mind) new track rods and ends maybe worth doing at the same time if they are old and tired.

I would presume not as the VR was a wider track so cant see it.

COPIED FROM ANOTHER THREAD

you can fit a mk3 GTI/VR6 rack to a corrado G60 providing you swap to the 4 stud setup shorter track rods but the Corrado VR6's usually have the alloy cased type of rack (ZF) and a different type of pump to go with it, the TRW racks from the 4cyl cars have a smooth steel casing.

I've seen VR6's that have had 8v/16v/G60 (TRW) racks fitted though, so they must be physically the same size (again, apart from the track rods)

Recently had reconditioned rack fitted, think it was about £190. also think it was probably from gsf so hoping it lasts longer than Vr6pete's!.

Ended up changing most of the steering parts at same time, powder coated sub frame and ARB, new wishbones and track rods and new bushes all round. Plus r32 ones for rear wishbones.

Feels VERY responsive now but not quite right yet, feels a bit too heavy and pulls to the left a bit but taking it back in a month to get alignment redone after its all settled in.