rado mc

DBP Revival, movement.

Just some pics for now of my old 16v. currently off the road and has been for 2 years.

However, will be back by the end of autumn after an ambitious semi strip and build... well that's the plan. Will put pics along the way.

Mostly original with very few mods simply because i couldn't fault it enough to fiddle as it was.

796f9655.jpg

went from 42 to 50's on Lyndons (the oracle) advice at Dubhaus.

fba3d8ff.jpg

fa630226.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

As she stands today. the two years off the road was waxed up and garaged, but with a recent house move she's left in the elements.

Its because of this and actually seeing it everyday which has got the ball rolling again to go Corrado!

Then

cc03bff0.jpg

13aa220a.jpg

Now

5a790234.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

3 times in the last 3 months this car has been sold but still remains. Once to a guy who had a 20v conversion in mind for it but was a no show in the end then twice to a breaker who wanted it but didn't have room at the time. Reason for the sale is I had set my sights on a late black berry valver i'd stumbled across but missed it my mins.

Disgruntled at this i accidentally went straight out and bought another with a silly plan of using it as a donor to get mine back on the road!

4e2de264.jpg

Has anyone ever seen 3 spoke alloys on a rado before?

b996b829.jpg

Edited by rado mc

Donor car practically has a full documented service history has had everything replaced in last 2k i need for mine and more.

During the strip down for parts it soon became clear that living by the sea for so long hasn't helped parts of the bodywork.

d585ec55.jpg

fortunately the rest is coming along nice and steady

070a677d.jpg

f672d6ec.jpg

8fe23c59.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

When i get round to putting mine back together, i'm thinking about new suspension and poly bushes whilst i'm at it and have the chance too.

Any suggestions for best combo etc and places to get them from? not looking for top of the range, top whack stuff but something in the middle perhaps.

started light bodywork jobs whilst weather was fine this weekend.

stuck down spoiler, manually raised after stumbling across the dial and wondering what it did. unbolted ok and and got cleaning up.

8191e0de.jpg

d8c9cfe6.jpg

3b1f3c6f.jpg

853df918.jpg

next up inspired by other threads the minging mouldy silence foam. not fully finished yet but soon will be once i have my hands on the right cleaning products.

3d8d1e79.jpg

c8838c32.jpg

9e2ab84f.jpg

Thanks, me too! need to trailor over the border soon for engine transplant time plus many other bits.

whilst its out, i'm tempted to replace standard exhaust manifold for something more uprated but can't find one at mo.

Looks exciting, hope you stick with it :)

Can't believe the state of the rad panel!

---------- Post added at 3:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:32 PM ----------

I ran out of tardis and just use white spirits now, its pretty much the same but alot cheaper, just keep spraying it on the glue until it softens then scrape off with a credit card etc

Cheers for the tips and encouragement. its a job that just gets bigger the more you dig!

rad panel just isn't there is it! was pretty gutted that it also rotted away the lower part of the slam panel. was hoping to sell parts to help fund all this project.

Don't like breaking one of these cars but as you can see underneath it wasn't great and a lot of it is going towards saving mine which was at the breakers door twice.

Anyone for exhaust, suspension ideas or any other tips for when engines out, not done this before.

Cheers.

Andy, looking like good progress, great to chat last Saturday when I collected my bits - keep up the good work and don't forget the driveshafts when you get to the drivetrain. Cheers, Dave

So, late autumn/early winter return has been knocked on the head now. Spring now realistically. Very frustrating but matters out of my hands got in the way. Garage/shed where my breaker is and my own should be is bunged up with other cars, so no room at the inn right now. On top of that delay my daily drive got badly keyed recently then the gear box blew £££ :(

So very little done on the rado, just replaced worn wiper linkages and motor, no more loose wobble at all.

Currently got a Lupo for a few weeks on loan, strangely good fun and can't help thinking what the gti version is like!? Also wondering if they'd notice if I sent it back with corrado wiper arms on ;-)

*Dave, no problems with drive-shafts, will give you a buzz when I finally get there. Still can't believe your immaculate, beyond show room condition car, wow! sounded great too, is that oem exhaust?

Andy - yes, exhaust is as OEM as I could get, back box and front silencer are OEM quality from GSF, centre suitcase silencer is an GSF OEM quality Mk2 GTI 16V box as I couldn't get a Corrado one in the UK when I needed one.

So, later than hoped but a trailer turned up last weekend with winch. Car behaved and rolled out nicely despite being sat for a bit. no stuck brakes!

2013-06-14170958_zpsf205e829.jpg

Got this GTI instead to sell in the mean time, Father in law didn't want me "cluttering up his sheds with old vw's" oops.

2013-06-16205438_zpsb3476e22.jpg

In its new home for the time being straight to work on problem parts that I'd saved from the breaker and gathered over time.

knackered fuel pump first. came off a treat, much easier than i thought it would be.

2013-06-15155225_zpsc84f41b9.jpg

2013-06-16143512_zps662a8795.jpg

2013-06-16143457_zps6108161e.jpg

Newish one with shiny bits!

2013-06-16143533_zps505f35d1.jpg

Engine unplugged, unplumbed and freed off, it was then we discovered someone had "borrowed" the lift so tools down till next time.

Bit manky underneath, so definitely going to address that with a good clean up and weatherproofing, tempted by a powder coated rear subframe ideally but i don't have the time as car is over 50 miles away so not every weekend i get chance.

Keep on it mate planning is key especially with your round trip in mind I want to see another DBP not enough of us :thumbleft:

I know, not great I'm afraid was really hoping to get it sorted.

Got old engine out ok, and replacement in after a struggle. real tight fit. I wanted the gear box out the way etc first so we could lower it in with a bit more room and to make it a bit easier but father-in-law pressed on clattering it about instead.

Time was against us in the end and with it being on a farm and the weather turning good, it was all hands on deck getting the grass cut, bailed, wrapped and stacked so i spent more time flying up and down in a JCB than with the car over two weekends.

Its now been moved off the ramp and put to one side.

I got another couple of hours on it and got it plumbed back in, sorted vacuum pies, air box and most of the wiring. it was then I was told he'd noticed the clutch pedal was stuck up when he moved it off the ramp but forgot to tell me... so gear box has to be dropped out of it after all. sounds like somethings trapped. i know its not seized as it was working fine the previous weekend.

Drivers seat has been ripped and bolster wrecked too in my absence along with it been knocked occasionally and stuff piled on it like a shelf ffs.... so frustrating and you want to say something but you can't.

I was literally less than an hour from sticking a battery in and giving it a try.

Won't be up for a few weeks now, just hope its not been backed into by a tractor like most things have :(

It moved, and under its own power for first time in over 3 years and moved well.

gearbox issue sorted, slave cylinder had popped out too far during swap over and refused to go back in despite a decent sized hammer being involved.

stuck a gallon in the tank and primed it a few times and it fired. very surprising at smoothness but satisfying indeed.

Brakes/clutch all bled, ignition coil replaces and a few other bits addressed and drove of the ramp. So a massive leap forward in all respects.

Issues noted so far, water temp gauge isn't registering?? and I've added the heater matrix vw recall/fix that was on the breaker. not 100% convinced its right. If anyone else has that fix on their valver I'd appreciate some pics and pointers just to make sure I've got the flow right before a blow!

Next, bonnet and bits on followed by pics of it not covered muck!

Thanks to the Wigan Haigh Hall vw show got to meet some club members and a butchers at the correct lay out for the heater matrix pipes fix. I wasn't far off!

Tidied up engine loom wiring. Such a messy engine the KR!

Anyway been shopping during a lull in progress for some more shiny subtle bits. Still got the Sebrings but managed to get these BBS RS 764's for less than it would to refurb originals so couldn't resist. Also might be some stainless going on soon, pics to follow.

anyway took the car out for a v.short drive test and a clean.

2013-10-12161857-Copy_zps420d767a.jpg