Sign in to follow this  
matt buz

squeaky spoiler

hey all

My spoiler has started to make a couple of squeaky noises on the way down. They occur just before it reaches the fully down position. I was going to try and lube it a bit but I thought I should ask here first.

Is it a sign it's on its way out or can i nip the problem in the bud early?

Cheers

Matt Buz

Mine does the same, but hey, at least it moves! Seriously though, some people say lube it, but I've never thought it a good idea personally, as oil plus dirt equals grinding paste. I seem to recall hearing years ago that the C's had this complaint when first came to UK and some VW mechanics resolved it by putting some talc on the arms and running it up and down a few times. Worked on mine for a while, but it doesn't bother me too much as rarely hear it over the strereo. :roll: If you do try a lube I would say try a very light oil, if at all.

I found that spray white grease sorts the problem out nicely... it's also REALLY good for sunroofs, locks and slam panel catches/cables! ;)

PTFE is a fantastic lubricant and doesn't mix with the cr@p in there already as much to form the grinding paste kvwloon mentioned.... 8)

I have the same noises when my spoiler is moving up / down... :roll:

Never paid much attention to it, because the stereo is most of the times very loud! 8)

I´ll try to spray some white grease just as Henny said! :D

Hope it works! :mrgreen:

Yep get that white lithium grease (from halfords £5 a can) on there and also on those other places Henny mentioned, it really is very good for freeing up those door hinges and slow moving sunroofs. I put my spoiler up, gave both arms a thorough clean, sprayed them, then manually moved it up and down and it moves much smoother with no squeaking :wink:

hey all

My spoiler has started to make a couple of squeaky noises on the way down. They occur just before it reaches the fully down position. I was going to try and lube it a bit but I thought I should ask here first.

Is it a sign it's on its way out or can i nip the problem in the bud early?

Cheers

Matt Buz

silicone grease (tube from maplins) or silicone spray works well for this.

David.

WD40 should NOT be thought of as a lubricant... it's soooo thin that it actually cleans any other lubricants off the mechanism and will make it worse in a very short amount of time... :|

3in1 oil would probably be pretty good for the spoiler as it is a penetrating oil AND has graphite in it which is a very good lubricant... 8)

Yeah, the Oil needs to be very thin, I used a spay on type when I first got the car because it sqeeked and its been fine since, just spray on and manually lift up and down a few times

Used graphite oil spray, that stopped the squeeking with mine as well. I do like the idea of talc powder as well, though, not tried it yet ...

Tempest