trigger83

cooling fan issues

hey hey bin ages since i was on here. ive had some cooling issues on my vr. when im sat in traffic ( 2 often these days ) and the fan cuts in it makes a horrible noise. on further investigation it appears to have nearly seized. my brother in law is a mechanic and foned around to find out some prices and it appears as it is now obsolete. handily he found out that it was discontinued by vw since 2002 and was 580quid back then. i suppose my question is does any1 have or have had the same issue and is there any way to resolve it.

Hi mate. Word of warning, one guys VR set on fire a couple weeks ago due to knackered fans... Beware!!

You might be able drop on a second hand fan motor or obtain something from a 3rd party.

I think quite a few people have switched to an alternative setup using aftermarket fans such as Spal - if you search for spal fan it should throw up a few threads, such as this one. Depends if you want so stay oem, or don't mind a few minor mods - though I think they can be made to fit in the original housing. It's something I'm considering myself.

Hi mate. Word of warning, one guys VR set on fire a couple weeks ago due to knackered fans... Beware!!

That was mine :oops:

New OEM fans cost me £360, they are still available from somewhere but the guys from the garage did say they had a job to get hold of them...

If I'd known in advance I would probably go aftermarket and ditch the fan controller, less to go wrong. Needless to say even with brand new fans they still don't switch on and off properly! :bonk:

Stone