Sign in to follow this  
Ryk

Battery keeps going flat on VR6

Recently my battery is going flat in a couple of days. I bought a new battery back in November and so that shouldn't be the problem. The alternator is charging nicely and I've had the alarm checked. The alarm guy said that it was the central locking that was draining the battery. If I use the alarm to lock the doors, the battery is flat in the morning but if I lock the doors with the key and then set the alarm it is better. Well it was, now if I use said method, the battery still dies.

The alarm guy reckoned it was the central locking relay that was at fault. Do I have one and where would it be hidden ? The VAG guy didn't really know but reckoned I'd have to change the pump since that houses the control unit which would most likely be draining the battery.

Thanks.

Tried closing all the doors and stuff, and then dropping the back seats and looking into the boot to see if the boot light is staying on? I heard that the boot light can stay on sometimes resulting in this nice battery drain... :|

Your best bet is to stick a ammeter on the system to check what mA are being drawn when the car is off. Then try locking and setting the alarm. Most often it's the 3rd party alarms that cause these kind of problems...

Tried closing all the doors and stuff, and then dropping the back seats and looking into the boot to see if the boot light is staying on? I heard that the boot light can stay on sometimes resulting in this nice battery drain

i agree, check the obvious things first..

Why not pop off the parcel shelf and look in when its locked.

My friend had a similar problem for months. If its not the easy stuff take it to an auto electrican or lock up the car hold down the bonnet switch and put the meter on as suggested. Remove one fuse at a time and this will let you know which circuit is drainning (if you can see a drain on the battery)