max west-yorks

fitting a raceland 6 branch

Hi guys,

Just wanted to check, is it possible to remove the stock downpipe from below the car (my cat I seized to the downpipe because of rusty bolts so will have to come out together)

I'm guessing the mani HAS to come out the top side of the bay? and finally I'm guessing the raceland 6 branch should slide in from above with a little wiggling? or would I need to take the inlet manifold off?

Thanks,

Max

The6 branch will fit with a bit of maneuvering, but you can always loosen the engine mounts and jack the rear up to create more space.

Not sure if the downpipe will slide from underneath, but froim memory at a guess id say no.

Is it just the nuts that you cant undo? Remind me is it a seperate nut and thread, or is the thread part of the cat or down pipe. If seperate, could you just cut the nut off?

Tried a large pole to get more leverage - i know one bolt will be hard to get to as it'll sit on top nearest the underside of the car.

Could you disconnect the cat from the centre pipe and disconnect the down pipe from the mani and twist the whole thing to get to the top nut.

have a look underneath mate, it maybe possible to slide the downpipe from underneath, i cant remember exactly. I was saying it probably isnt the case that it can be, just not 100%

Max,

I've just fitted a 6 branch to my R32 Corrado, and also a raceland to my old vr6 a few years ago. The mani will have to go in/out from above I'm afraid, this would also be impossible with the cat still connected. You will need to grind off those 3 nuts/bolts and separate the flange so the old mani is on it's own. Intake manifold will also have to come out, to allow access to the manifold studs and also to get the thing in.

Hope this helps,

James

---------- Post added at 3:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:26 PM ----------

Oh and regarding access to the top nut/bolt...

Your best bet is to undo the manifold at the head first, as there is a flexi in the standard vr6 mani, you can then twist it rearward and the manifold will then be completely disconnected. You can then allow the mani and the cat to drop and rest on the steering rack, which should give you maybe an inch or two clearance to get to that top bolt.

cheers James that's all really useful!

I'm still waiting to get hold of one though! couple of guys have PMed but i haven't seen any photos as of yet, it seems no one has them anymore