Jim Bowen

Draining fuel from tank?

Going to start the corrado up soon after its been sat for over a year.

Don't fancy the old petrol going through the system.

Is there a way to empty the tank?

I just passed a length of fuel hose down the filler neck when I did mine, and drained it into a can. Other way is to disconnect the output hose, then open the filler cap and let it pour out under positive pressure. It was less effort to syphon it though, and you can regulate it better in case of spills/changing cans etc if you're doing it on your own.

Also not that tricky to pop a hose off the fuel filter under the car. With the cap off I imagine gravity should do the rest.

Of if you're looking for a variety of options, have you considered a controlled burn?

Gravity?? That works downwards :scratch:

fuel is pulled up by the pump and exits and returns via the tank lid, so draining from the filter won't work unless the pump is on and then you would run the pump dry.

I'd siphon it off as vr6 originally suggested, from the tank lid above the pump if you can undo it (they can be very tight) that way you can see when you have got everything out and you may be able to suck up some moisture droplets and dirt from the bottom while you are at it.

On second thoughts, I see what you mean, in theory you might be able to siphon fuel via the filter hose, but having changed a filter on the 8v recently (same setup as vr) fuel does not drain out so I don't think siphoning from here will work.

Edited by davidwort

Fair point Mr Wort. Tbh I don't see why you would do anything other than just siphon it off straight from the tank. I was just thinking outside the box .. but didn't take the pump into consideration.

Strangely though you have no issue with my controlled burn suggestion :scratch:

Think I'll try a pipe down the filler neck for now and add plenty of fresh fuel. Thinking my pump will be changed soon so will tackle that then. Otherwise I'll only replace it now and can't afford it yet.

Strangely though you have no issue with my controlled burn suggestion :scratch:

You know somehow I missed that! Of course, that's the obvious method, totally agree, nothing gets rid of old fuel like setting light to it, definitely go for that one.