OllieVR6

What to replace with radiator swap?

I have ordered a new rad and want to make sure that I have all the extra parts before I start. I'm going to order an elbow from classic parts, does it come with the O ring? If not, do VW still sell them? I think I'll also get a new fan plug thing (the bronze bit). Is there anything else I'll need?

Depends how far you want to go. My next project is to replace:

Rad + elbow

Fan switch

Crack pipe

Stat housing + sat + sensors + all seals

Change expansion tank for MK4 expansion tank + plug

Silicon hoses

Maybe heater matrix

*Edit* + water pump!

Edited by CazzaVR

ive got a rad sat downstairs and will be changing,

Rad + elbow

Crack pipe.

fan switch

and hoses.

gonna look into the mk4 expansion cause i quite like the look of it!

is the stat housing a weak point. i had a new stat a few years ago like

I has lots of problems on my MkII because I was replacing bits of the cooling system piece meal - what tended to happen was that when you replaced one old part, e.g. the water pump the pressure in the system would rise and spring a leak somewhere else. If I was to do it again I'd just renew the whole system at the same time - you will have it drained anyway. So I'd recommend saving, and doing:

Rad

Temp sender

Stat housing and stat

Water pump if noisy

Hoses

Crack pipe

Oil cooler

Ok thanks folks. I can't stretch to new hoses but I can probably manage the rest. I replaced the matrix a couple of years ago so that shouldn't need doing either.

I'll be getting the water pump out to check it whilst I'm in the bay, are they expensive to replace?

New rad from VW comes with the elbow already fitted btw

Think the water pump is about £50-60 and is an exchange item (return your old one)

I also ended up doing everything on mine as it kept bursting in new places, rad, thermo housing, pipes all went within month of each other.

New rad from VW comes with the elbow already fitted btw

Think the water pump is about £50-60 and is an exchange item (return your old one)

I also ended up doing everything on mine as it kept bursting in new places, rad, thermo housing, pipes all went within month of each other.

I didn't get a VW one (obsolete or so I thought) I got the Hella one that Pete has been saying good things about (and that Dave has been using for 30k odd miles).

Not the O ring on the below is a flat profile not a round profile.

The o-ring on the elbow is a flat profile not a round profile?

You're probably right.

But the original one is apparently obsolete now at VW so I had no choice but to use a standard o-ring which fitted a treat and sealed perfectly.

Unfortunately I had to buy a huge selection box from Screwfix to get the right size so I've got one or two spares now.

Yeah i did that once as a quick fix. Bought some from B&Q and it seaped, so you did well to get it to seal.

That was meant to say note* and elbow* btw.... :lol: took quick to type