Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

WAHOO!! VR6 is in!!! (more pics)

Had a mammoth 12 hour session in the garage yesterday. Happy to report that I eventually got a decent flywheel that fitted, and it's all on (in?). box went on fine (apart from being enormously heavy! I can only JUST lift it on my own). slight problem with subframe (it's off a SEAT toledo, needs some extra holes drilling in it). got the engine sat on it's mounts around lunchtime yesterday.

I seam welded the front x-member form end to end then ground the welds smooth and painted it all (and the rad support). p***ing about cleaning and painted stuff is what's taking up all the time.

got the cams in and new sprockets and all timed up. engine is ready to finally close up now.

still waiting on the samco's and a fuel hose from the dealers and some rad fans (they can wait). so by the end of today is should be almost ready to fire up! but seeing as I'm awaiting bits I'll have to do the wishbones and brakes instead. it might be sat on it's wheels by tonight. Ready to roll out next weekend.

51367221.jpg

51367227.jpg

51368612.jpg

51367233.jpg

51367244.jpg

51367247.jpg

51368471.jpg

51368562.jpg

51368591.jpg

Haven't finished polishing the VGI yet, but I thought I'd throw it on anyway.

51369258.jpg

and it's abit bl00dy close to the bonnet!!

51369248.jpg

Nice one matey! Good to hear it's going together well for you! 8)

Nice one big lad - where did you get your flywheel from in the end?

When do you expect it to be back on the roads?

and BTW you have made a canny effort at cleaning your garage up at some point these last few weeks eh?!

Looking good!

That second picture makes my project corrado look almost road legal :lol:

The first one is a ridgeway racing flywheel. but i sent it back as it was machined wrong. the silver one is a Fidanza item, from the US, which is a 3rd of the weight of the stock one!

Bonnet clearance is about 8mm. I'm glad I went for the competition spec vibratechnics front mount! if you've bought a VGI, buy a new front mount too, you'll need it. those 3 shiny things are the mounts

The other pics show my DIY headwork, a Mk4 head gasket (with the part number) for more compression, and the proper cam alignment tool in use.

Driveshafts going in tonight.

Very nice bit of work there Paul. Do you think the car will make it to any of the shows this year? Edition38 perhaps???

John

I got it from Helix, the UK importers.

Look for Kevin Typer on Vortex, he should be able to get you one for $305

looks very good Phat, sort of thing I could never imagine tackling, so I take my hat off to you mate :D

Driveshafts have been fully refurbished and rebuilt now and are in. wishbones all painted up and poly bushes too. They'll be going in tonigt witht he 288brakes and H&R suspension and TAS top mounts. I may even drop it back on it's wheel if I get time!

Some better pics coming too, now I've worked out how to use my camera.

Looks good. What’s with the bright orange/red block? Easier to see oil i guess. =]

it was originally going in an orange car.

Wait until you see the samco's!