timthetinyhorse

head unit wont fit properly

Having issues in the Corrado VR, the head unit has never fitted correctly since i got the car (it wont slide in all the way) the other day i had a proper look checking there was no wiring etc in the way at the back but when i came to pull it out it will only come out so far i.e. the back of the unit is still just inside the dash. I removed the heater control unit to try and get a better look at the wiring and it seems that the plugs are somehow wedged in so my first question is how easy is the center console to remove and second are there any units that have a smaller depth than others?

There does seem to be some variation in unit depth, I usually remove the passenger under tray so I can get my hand up the back of the centre console to guide the cables at the back of the head unit into place so nothing gets trapped. Also, some rubber/bolt supports on the back of head units are a less than perfect fit into the corrado dash rear metal head unit support bracket.

i should have thought about thatbe fore i posted this........run outside to realize i came to work in van.........go through photos to try find out..........still no joy so all i can tell you is that its an alpine CDE series with ipod interface.........

Run a CDE 123 in mine man, all alpine single din units are made to a specific standard size. I would first assume one of 2 things, 1. the block from the harness or ISO is jammed behind the unit (but this does not explain why it will not remove) therefore more than likely 2. the Cage has been fitted incorrectly and when your "removing" the unit, your actually trying to take the cage out with it? im assuming your aware of the 2 little pop pins you have to un clip behind the stereo face? after you un clip these it should just slide straight out? if not then have a look/feel about as stated above.

nope the cage is staying solid and just the unit is coming out, its literally tight on the cable so i can only presume that the ISO/Harness is jammed down the back somewhere thus not allowing me to get the unit fully out.......im a tad suspect as to how its been wired to be honest as i have no sound to the front right speaker at all (wondering if someone has previously yanked at the unit to try and remove and pulled a cable out of the block (i have tried fade and bal etc))

whilst on the subject when i got the car all the fade was to front and i later found that the rears have blown, any recommendations for decent replacements that will fit? dont want to break the bank as i have a lot of work to do on the car over winter to get it show ready for next year and have a baby on the way.

hmm, well try get you hand behind the unit, disconnect it, take it out, then have a look man. you cant really tell anything untill you remove it.

GLAD YOU BROUGHT IT UP! when it comes to rear speakers in the corrado, your a bit stuck for choice. the only really available options in the uk, in the standard 4x6 size is the Alpine E-type (SH!T) (E-type = SH!T) or the Phoenix Gold Co-axial equivalent (not toooo bad) 4x6's are a hard speaker to come by. But imo the only way to go and Unknown to some, is the JL Audio TR400-CXi although these speakers are a 4" speaker they come with a 4x6 adaptor plate, making them fit perfectly in the corrado. and for £40-odd there a bargain. JL are a TOP TOP brand of speaker. the thing is, its very challenging for a small speaker to produce Good sound, (mids) so spending the extra £10 or so on the jl's over the E-types or similar REALLY pays of!

:)

Key to this I've found after attempting many methods and getting highly frustrated is to remove the speedo binacle [4 screws].

This gives great access to the back of the headunit allowing you to re-arrange the ISO/DIN plugs which are mostly likely jammed behind it.

2 minute job to remove the binacle as well.

---------- Post added at 1:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:33 PM ----------

cheers for the link will look into them once iv got all my engine work done......

Key to this I've found after attempting many methods and getting highly frustrated is to remove the speedo binacle [4 screws].

This gives great access to the back of the headunit allowing you to re-arrange the ISO/DIN plugs which are mostly likely jammed behind it.

---------- Post added at 1:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:33 PM ----------

cheers for the link will look into them once iv got all my engine work done......

---------- Post added at 1:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:38 PM ----------