andi spencer

Oil warning beeping!!

Hi guys another problem with the corrado vr6, dropped the sump last night with the oil and filter. All levels are correct and right oil and filter. Started up to drive home and the oil warning light came an the beeping. Have changed the oil temp and the oil low pressure sensors as they were leaking. Not a clue on this one any help please

---------- Post added at 6:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:45 PM ----------

Oh and it starts to beep after about 150m normal driving and doesn't stop until I turn off and park up

Maybe worth dropping the sump again. I had it for ages on my KR. Changed everything I could think of, cleaned pickup, renewed oil pump and all seals etc, only noticed the second time, that one of the clips on the sump baffle was broken off. Turns out as the pump was sucking up, it was making the pickup pivot a little and block the pickup very slightly, but enough to reduce pressure below the limits. Mine was happening when cold, when warm, below and above 2k rpm,but always randomly. Thinking back, it only really left the the pump and associated parts, and the clocks. Do that to yours to narrow down the possibilities, as there are two sensors for oil pressure. One for below 2k rpm, and one for above. Try it with the engine up to temp too.

Cheers, happens both cold and hot. As soon as I start to drive its starts to beep and doesn't stop. I've picked up a sensor which was going to replace the brown (I believe to be low pressure) with a black one. Think am going to go vw and buy direct. Oil temp connection is broke but tht was like that before I dropped the sump.

Yeah the black is an updated version of the old brown. I think its set at a slightly higher pressure too. (from 1.2 to 1.3 bar iirc). May be worth checking the baffle then mate.

Its held onto the oil pump pickup by 3 or 4 clips. If you drop the sump, you cant miss it. Its just a flat piece of plastic running forward to back inside the sump, but connected to the pickup. It stops the oil sloshing around the sump and starving the pump when cornering. The clips become very brittle with age and easily break loose.

Cool don't remember seeing any plastic inside the sump. Possible be missing

---------- Post added at 8:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:08 AM ----------

I used 5w40 oil just looking up and a lot of people suggest using 10w40 due to the age of the car and mileage. ??

Yeah... but thinner oil shouldn't be setting the oil warning buzzer off as soon as you start the car :| Something not right there at all!

new 15w40 oil didnt stop the beeping, also i noticed it starts to beep after 2000 rpm. Mate has informed me that the filter could be the problem as some have byepass valves and if it hasnt got one on the filter it could cause it to trip

Edited by andi spencer
wrong info

Change the high pressure sensor. Happened to my house mates car the other week, 2 minute job :-)